Friday, September 19, 2014

Year 4, Day 262: Judges 1

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Obedience

  • Obedience: Genuine and satisfying obedience comes out of our identity.  Our true identity comes only from our Father.

As we turn back to the book of Judges, we are reminded of real life.  When we last read in the Old Testament, Joshua was completing the initial conquest.  However, we know that God promised them more if they would remain faithful to Him.

Unfortunately, we know how just about every story in Judges will come at us.  “The Hebrew people turned away from the Lord.”  Difficulty will come against the Hebrew people.  They will cry out, and a judge will rise up and save them in battle.  But what is the reason that the judges are necessary?  The reason they are necessary is because the people are not obedient to the Lord.

We see evidence of this is this opening chapter.  Look at how many of the tribes simply do not complete the conquest of their portion of the Promised Land!  God promised that it would be completed if the people would simply obey the Lord.  It doesn’t happen.

Of course, I do not have any right to complain, either.  I’m not always obedient.  I don’t conquer the sin in my life like I should.  I sometimes live outside of the obedience of God myself.  And quite often there are consequences to my lack of obedience as we see in this chapter, too.  This will be an interesting read through the judges as it will continue to reinforce our collective need for obedience chapter after chapter.

<><


No comments:

Post a Comment