Monday, January 25, 2016

Year 6, Day 25: Isaiah 41

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Provision

  • Provision: God gives us what we truly need.  God knows our needs better than we can know them.  We learn to trust God to provide for us.

Most days, my capacity to think is my undoing.  When I think, I make plans.  When I think, I look to the future and try and determine how conversations will go, how the activities of the day will go, what foods I’ll eat, what purchases I want to make throughout the next few weeks, and things like this.  When I think, I inherently make dreams about my desires.

Now, don’t get me wrong.  I don’t genuinely believe that there is anything wrong with looking to the future for hope.  I think God wants us to enjoy the life ahead of us and our opportunity to live in His creation.  The problem isn’t that I do these things.  The problem is my motivation and my focus when I do them.

You see, quite often when I’m looking into my future I’m planning how I want things to go.  I’m setting myself up for as much success as I can grab.  The problem with this is that it is so easy to forget God in it all!  It is so easy to have my dreams and aspirations occupy so much of my mind that I forget God’s aspirations.  Of course, God’s aspirations for my life are far superior to anything I can conceive anyways.

The deep problem with this is that when I forget God’s desire for my life I also forget that I am only where I am in life because of God’s provision already happening in my life.  I am who I am only because of what God has done for me.

This truly is the point of this chapter in Isaiah.  The problem with the world is that human beings rely upon themselves and the people around them more than they rely upon God.  But who among us can honestly predict the future?  Which of our idols can genuinely provide for us and prepare us for the days to come?  No, it is God who provides best.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment