Saturday, February 27, 2016

Year 6, Day 58: Jeremiah 5

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Appetite

  • Appetite: We all have needs that need to be filled.  When we allow ourselves to be filled with the people and things that God brings into our life, we will be satisfied because our In will be in proper focus.  But when we try to fill ourselves with our own desires we end up frustrated by an insatiable hunger.

God and Jeremiah have a very interesting conversation in this chapter.  God asks Jeremiah to go through all of Jerusalem and try and find a single righteous person.  In fact, God even seems to make a wager that if Jeremiah can find one then He will relent from the judgment that God has planned.  And before you guess, I want you to know that I don’t find this passage because of the massive number of people who aren’t righteous.  I’m not surprised by that.  I live in the world.  I know just how many human beings are not righteous in God’s eyes.  I know how many human beings live with themselves as the center of their life as they “look out for number one.”

What I’m surprised by is Jeremiah’s lack of response.  I honestly believe that Jeremiah understands how much righteousness is not present.  But look at what Jeremiah never says.  He never says, “Hey, God, I’m righteous!”  He never says, “What about my disciples, God?”  Jeremiah knows better.  There are no righteous people.  There are no people who seek God’s will on their own without the help of God.  Jeremiah knows the appetite that lives within His heart.

I think that this is one of the qualities that I respect about the prophets.  In truth, I think this is one of the qualities that I respect in anyone.  I respect people who have an honest evaluation about themselves.  I respect people who are not afraid to look in the mirror and see just how sinful they really are.  I do think that it is when we can see the sinful appetite within that we are then able best to rely fully upon the grace of God the best.  After all, only when I can accept that even I am not righteous on my own can I truly cling to the righteousness that God offers me for free.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment