Friday, July 8, 2011

Year 1, Day 189: Joshua 4

Collective Memory

In this passage of Joshua, we can see a remembrance of what the Lord has done.  The men from the tribes pass through the Jordan, picking up large stones to set them up for all to see on the other side.  Additionally, Joshua sets up a series of twelve stones within the Jordan.  I found myself wondering what the purpose of the two separate sets of stones could be.

So today I’ll put forth an idea that I will continue to chew on for a while.  For the first three chapters, I’ve spoken a good bit about the events in Joshua having a metaphorical interpretation into the life of the follower of Christ.  With that in mind, is it possible that these stones represent the two significant moments in salvation?

Think of it this way.  Those twelve stones that Joshua set up in the river would eventually be buried within the river once the people crossed over.  They would be lost, only visible to God.  The waters of the Jordan would cover those stones completely.  In many respects, this parallels Christ’s death.  Christ died, and was buried where only God could view Him.  Once the tomb was sealed, Christ was only visible to God.  So it is with the stones set up by Joshua.  They are only visible to God once the waters began to flow again.

On the other hand, once the people crossed the Jordan they set up a visible remembrance in the Promised Land.  So it is with the resurrection.  Once Christ had paved the way for people to enter into a spiritual promised land He was resurrected into new life.  He became visible to the disciples and those who followed Him.  And He remains alive to this day, much like those stones remained after the Hebrew people took possession of the land.  His Spirit – much like the visible reminder of the stones at Gilgal – reminds us daily that through God’s power we have access to the spiritual promised land.

I’ve not thought this the whole way through, and I’m not sure that it couldn’t be fleshed out and developed a little more than it already is.  But it was a thought that I had today as I read through this passage about remembering what God has done for His people.

Declaration of God’s Greatness

One thing we can say with assurance about this passage is that it is a series of verses that clearly demonstrates the command of God over creation.  The waters clearly obey God.  But the people also obey God.  They move at His direction.  They obey His will.  They do as God says and things work out rather well for them.

However, the end is not that things worked out so well.  The end is actually in the charge of Joshua.  Joshua commands the people that they are to remember this day.  They are to teach their children about what happened this day.  They are to speak to the world about the greatness of God that is on display.  Yes, God blesses our life so that we can live in His blessing!  But that is not the end of God’s blessing!  God blesses us ultimately so that His name is praised and we have a means for praising it!  We should not sit back and relax and just soak up the good life in God.  Rather, we should live the good life in God and declare His greatness to the world around us!

And yes, for the record, I do believe that life with God is the good life.  I’m not preaching some prosperity gospel here.  Paul was imprisoned and beaten, but he genuinely believed his life in God was good.  All of Jesus’ own disciples felt persecution and most were either martyred or exiled.  But they believed their life in God was good.  We may not live an easy life, but we will live a good life.  What a testimony we can share with the world!


<>< 

2 comments:

  1. John, I think you have an interesting idea about the piles of stones and there's further support of your thesis in 1 Sam 7:12. [Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen, and called its name Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”]God, of course, knows every milestone of our life in Christ but we limited beings can profit from marking our progress in our spiritual growth. These markers should bring forth celebration of God's grace in bringing us so far and strengthen our faith that He'll bring us home.
    My favorite hymn is "Come Thou Fount." Here's verse two:

    Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
    hither by thy help I'm come;
    and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
    safely to arrive at home.
    Jesus sought me when a stranger,
    wandering from the fold of God;
    he, to rescue me from danger,
    interposed his precious blood.

    So, we should celebrate the grace to finish the race. Luv ya, Bud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Samuel reference. Like you, I think it is good to set up "markers of the journey" to remind us what the Lord has done.

    Unfortunately, how often do I turn those "markers" into idols? As you say, they should remind me to give glory to God at what He has done in my life. Yet instead those markers often turn into ways I find in glorifying myself. In many respects, I think that is also why community is so important. It is easy for me to slip into self-worship when I look at those 'markers.' But others will help me remember that those markers do not represent my successes but God's victories within me.

    Thanks for the thoughts!

    ReplyDelete