Sunday, August 28, 2011

Year 1, Day 240: Acts 7

The First Martyr

The Stoning of Stephen is a well known passage.  Not only is it the story of the first Christian martyr, but it is a great summary of the history of the Hebrew people – although admittedly it is a bit Cliff’s Notes in its scope.  But Stephen does a good job trying to logically argue his point.

Logical Argument

Of course, we see how well that works for him, don’t we?  Stephen dies in the end.  But this does not prevent him from trying.  Stephen begins with a logical evaluation of the Hebrew history to set up his argument.  No doubt the Sanhedrin members who were evaluating him were listening intently to see not only how well he does with his history but how Stephen plans on turning their own history against them!  In that light, we realize in this world that logic can only take us so far.  Logic can and will be twisted to make sense to the user as well as the listener.

Yes, we must use logical arguments as Christians.  But we must not assume that just because an argument is logical that we will win the day.  Stephen’s argument here is very logical.  While he does ultimately “win” in Christ, his logic does not “win the day” with the Sanhedrin.

Pulling Punches

Another amazing thing that Stephen does here in the face of certain danger is that he puts his own neck on the chopping block.  In the midst of the Sanhedrin he brings out the language of “stiff-necked,” “uncircumcised hearts,” and “resisting the Holy Spirit.”  Stephen pulls out the language of “persecuting the prophets.”  Stephen doesn’t pull any punches.

I wonder if this is because Stephen – and the rest of the disciples – has all-but-given-up on the ruling Jews.  As a pastor, I should probably be much more aggressive in rebuking people than I actually am.  But the reason that I am not aggressive is because I have not yet given up on the people.  I continue to hope that through love people will change.

I wonder if Stephen doesn’t really have the better approach.  Speak truth; don’t sugar coat it.  Let people get mad if they can’t handle the truth.  But at least they’ve heard the truth and not some love-softened airy speech made up from excuses I make for other people.

On the other hand, in many respects giving license to speak harshly to others sounds like the easy way out.  I don’t mean it to be that way.  I’m not saying we have license to say whatever we want to whomever we want just simply because it is the truth.  There is no doubt that God’s way lies somewhere between in the balance between speaking harsh truth and showing love.  Unfortunately, that is a position that changes with every circumstance – and I find that it is a position I miss with some frequency!

Stephen’s Death

Of course, all of this conversation rests upon the fact that Stephen dies in the end.  And for me, that is where the crux of the issue rests.  Stephen is willing to speak the truth regardless of the consequence.  Stephen is willing to give up his life so long as the truth is proclaimed. 

I think there we’ve found my proverbial chink in the armor, how about you?  Am I willing to lose my job to proclaim the truth?  Am I willing to be alone and lose my friends by proclaiming the truth?  Am I willing to not have the money and thus miss out on things like cell phones, internet, and television because I speak the truth?  Am I really willing to rest in God’s hands and rest on the way God provides for my needs?  Or in my heart am I really more satisfied with what the world can offer like TV, cell phones, internet, etc.

Provision

Hmmm.  Perhaps the best way of asking the question I am wrestling with is this: am I really content with what God is going to provide for me?  If God calls me to die like Stephen, am I going to embrace that calling?  Or am I not content with God’s provision so instead I look to the world to provide what I really want?  Oh wretched man that I am.  I know God is the answer.  I know nothing can truly fulfill me but God.  I know that to die like Stephen is to gain life rather than lose it.  Yet I don’t live that belief nearly as often as I should.

Now don’t get me wrong.  I do think I turn to God deeply.  I’m not having a crisis of faith, nor am I hoping anyone reading has a crisis of their own faith.  But I do think it is important to ask oneself.  Do I really believe that to die like Stephen is to gain life?  Or do I just say that because it’s in the Bible and I know it is true, but I don’t really believe it?


<>< 

3 comments:

  1. I did a spiritual gifts thing a while back, and my second highest gift (after faith) was martyrdom. I didn't know that was a spiritual gift, but it surely made me think. I think its VERY linked to faith as a gift, actually -- but I was reminded of this when reading both the passage and your post.

    Would I die for Jesus? Absolutely w/o problem. Where my weakness is in much more would I suffer for my faith in Jesus! Death to me is the easier of the choices verses suffering, especially long term suffering.

    I don't really have an answer to this, mind you, but it made me think -- and thinking is good. I'll have to reflect some more on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that's the thing that I really struggle with, too. Would I give up my life for Christ? Absolutely. Could I be Stephen? I think so.

    The problem for me is in giving up the small things. Can I give up that TV show that sucks me into the world - and if nothing else - prevents me from making deeper connection to my wife because we are just glued to the TV for that hour? Note: I'm not saying all TV is bad here, just lifting up an example.

    See, something like life is easy for me to think about giving up. But if I have to be alive ... I want my creature comforts. That's my problem. If God would ask life or death the answer is easy. But if God asks for all while I still continue to live...

    Does that make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does, and is percisely what im saying. Funny (sad kind) to be willing to give up" all" but wrestling daily with giving up" some".

    ReplyDelete