Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Year 1, Day 299: 1 Samuel 13

Impatience

1 Samuel 13 begins a trilogy of sins in Saul’s life.  We’ll get to the other two sins in the coming days, but for now we will settle in and examine the sin of impatience.  Saul sees the gathering Philistines and he gets a little nervous.  He loses sight of the fact that God is in control and he takes control himself.  He forgets that God can provide even in the face of imminent defeat and impossible odds.  He takes matters into his own hand and in spite of the fact that he is not a priest – nor even trained in the ways of a priest – he offers a sacrifice to God!  {I’d like to pause here and state that there is a good thing about living in a time when we are all priests of the kingdom of God!  We need not worry.  So long as we are spiritual people, we are all priests!}

After God’s Own Heart

Now, perhaps you might be wondering about the difference between a man after God’s own heart and someone who is not after God’s own heart.  Well, we get a great picture of it here.  Just take a look at 1 Samuel 13:12.

We know that Samuel catches Saul in the act.  We know that Saul has no excuse for doing what he has done.  What does Saul do?  He begins to make excuses.  “I saw the Philistines gathering.”  “I forced myself to do it.”  “I was just seeking out the Lord’s favor!”  Bah.  What Saul should be saying is “I wanted to do it my own way because I grew impatient waiting for God!”

Understanding Saul’s Reaction to Being Caught

Saul sounds like a teenager in this passage.  I can’t tell you how many times as a Sunday School teacher of teenagers that I have caught one of them doing something.  Inevitably the response I get is, “It wasn’t me!”   Or maybe I hear, “It wasn’t just me!”  Excuses.  Human beings have an innate sinful nature for denying accountability.  Fortunately, most of the youth are quick to learn to not argue.  They learn that I respect the one who is humble when they are caught far more than the one who denies their involvement.

That is Saul’s mistake.  He is impatient.  He worries for his ability to be successful.  And he has pretty good reason to be worried – well, outside of the fact that God is on his side.  The Philistines are gathering.  Every day he waits is a day where more enemies show up.  From a worldly perspective he has every right to be worried.  Oh that Saul had simply said, “Yes, Samuel, I have sinned in the eyes of the Lord.  I was worried, and I see now that I should have trusted in God rather than wrenching the reigns out of His hands.”  Had Saul had this perspective, he might not have received the condemnation that he receives from Samuel.

I have once more been reminded of Psalm 51:15-17.  God does not require sacrifice; He requires a broken and contrite heart.  Oh how poignant that passage is to this story from 1 Samuel!  God wants a broken spirit.  God wants humbleness.  What does God get from Saul?  He gets a sacrifice that is made out of pride and shallow faith.  God gets what God does not require.  How often do we do that to God?

Judgment

So Samuel delivers judgment.  Samuel tells Saul that his line will not last.  Now you might be thinking that this is a hard judgment for a single act of disobedience.  And perhaps it is at first glance.  However, the word that Samuel uses in judgment of Saul is often translated as “foolish.”  (See 1 Samuel 13:13)  We often think of a foolish action as one that is a simple miscalculation or a silly mistake.  The Hebrew word (and the real meaning of foolish) is “resulting from a lack of good judgment.”  Samuel’s pronouncement upon Saul is not a judgment made upon a simple silly mistake.  This is a pronouncement upon Saul as a person whose character lacks good judgment at all.

I wonder: how often am I guilty of this?  I am foolish – meaning that occasionally I suffer from a lack of good judgment.  How often can God look to me and shake His head at my inability to display good judgment?  I’d like to think I’m getting better; but all I need to do is to remember my past to know all too well how often I have displayed poor judgment.  Thanks be to God that He has not yet given up on me!  Humble us, Lord!

<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment