Sunday, February 5, 2012

Year 2, Day 36: Romans 13

Rebellion

I find that I wrestle with Romans 13 – especially the beginning.  It isn’t at all that I think what Paul has written is bad.  I think it is great.  I just wish that he would have also written a part about what to do when government and authority legitimately goes bad.  After all, I am a person in three ways born out of revolution:  physically, I live in a country that separated from the British Empire when the ruling government was determined to be inadequate; emotionally I am born out of the Lutheran movement that believes in reform and it was born out of rebellion against the Roman Catholic Church; and spiritually I am a Christian and am born out of the radical rebellion against the traditional Judaism that was being taught in Israel during the time of Christ.  I am a person whose core is born out of movements that rebelled against evil regimes.

Yet, Paul tells us here to respect authority because God is the true source of authority.  Does that mean that the rebellions out of which my persona is born were wrong?  I hope not, because I genuinely believe that at least two of the three rebellions to which I claim membership were led by the Holy Spirit!  Rather, I think what Paul is saying here is more of a generalization than an absolute rule to be obeyed at all times.  Clearly, when an authority forsakes God’s ways, we are to resist it.  But rather than going any further down that road, let’s talk about the generality that Paul is making.

What Paul is getting at in this passage is that we as human being are by our very nature rebellious.  We turn our backs on God and want to do it our own way all the time.  Rebellion is what our sinful nature is all about!  Humans need authority: spiritual children need a Spiritual Father, physical children need the authority of their parents, emotional children need an authority of a mentor, etc.  Without authority in our lives, we as human beings have little hope of being productive in this life.

Love

Paul uses this issue of subordination to authority to then springboard into Christian living in general – and we’ll be in this topic for a few days.  Paul begins with love, because this is really where we should begin.  I’ve been doing a good bit of reading the past few days and I’ve been really convicted lately that I don’t spend near as much time loving God as I should.  After all, the truth is that a God who is holy and righteous on His own should really have nothing to do with a sinner like me.  Yet, God wants me and you.  God not only wants us, but God considers us His inheritance!  I really need to step back and remember how lucky I am to be in a relationship with Him and just love Him for it.

This should be the motivation for the rest of our actions, too.  Jesus says as much in Matthew 22:40 and Paul says as much again in Galatians 5:14.  The whole of the Law is fulfilled in love.  As Christ loved us, we should love one another.  When we learn to stop and just love God, we will be far more likely to also be able to stop and love one another.

Actually, this leads me into a really neat line of thinking about returning us back to understanding why God is important.  The truth is that I need God’s help to even love a perfect and holy God.   Let that sink in for a while.  I need help loving a perfect God.

Since that’s true, then I certainly need God’s help in loving the rest of the fallen and sinful world around me!  {Thanks to Francis Chan in his book Crazy Love for this thought.}  If I want to be able to love the people around me I need to learn from God how to love a God who loved us first!

Goodness in Life

Once we learn that love is a better way than the world’s sel-mongerism, we can live in a way that is good.  We learn that drunkenness is neither good for ourselves nor for our neighbor, so we simply don’t do that anymore.  We learn that extra-marital sexual relations are just not constructive to having good relationships in our communities so we learn not to view our neighbors and friends in sexual ways.  We learn that having more than our fair share only causes a disproportionate number of people to live in poverty, so we stop doing that.  We learn that acting out of anger produces no positive benefit in our community, so we stop doing that, too.  When we learn to love God and then learn to love one another, we honestly make better choices because we care about those around us. 

Or, well, we should.  I think we still struggle with some things on the list in that prior paragraph.  We probably always will, too.  But in theory, that’s how it should work.  Once we understand our need for authority, we learn about our need to submit.  Once we learn about our need to submit, we learn how to love.  When we learn how to love, we display God to the world and our communities will improve because of His presence.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment