Monday, May 28, 2012

Year 2, Day 148: Mark 1

Background

Today we are beginning the Gospel of Mark.  Mark’s Gospel is known for being short and sweet.  Mark wrote like Sergeant Joe Friday from Dragnet spoke: just the facts, ma’am.  You will also notice that Mark does not mess with a birth narrative.  It isn’t that the birth narrative isn’t important.  It’s that Mark is about the story of Jesus’ ministry.  Jesus’ ministry officially begins at His baptism – and you can make as many theological inferences into that statement as you want, for it is ripe for inferences of all kinds!

Jesus’ Baptism

We begin with John the Baptist and Jesus’ baptism.  John the Baptizer was in the wilderness.  Literally, En Te Eremo!  John the Baptizer was proclaiming the need for people to repent and receive forgiveness for their sins.  John the Baptizer was preaching about someone coming after him who was more important than himself.  This sounds like a pretty good calling card for the Christian, too.  We are to talk to people about repentance and forgiveness while telling them about someone who is more important than ourselves.  Yes, we could all take a lesson from John the Baptizer.

Jesus is baptized.  As with all the stories of Mark, the baptism story is short and sweet.  Of course, Jesus was baptized by John as a sign of God’s approval, not for the forgiveness of sins.  I just felt the need to make that clear. 

Speaking of God’s approval, in the baptism we know that God does speak and declare His approval.  He calls Jesus His beloved son.  He says that He is well pleased with Jesus.  There is nothing about Jesus that brings the Father displeasure.  Already we have foreshadowing of the perfect nature of Christ and how only He can be the atoning sacrifice.  He is the one that is pleasing to God.  He is the one upon whom our salvation hangs; He is the one who appeases God’s need for a sacrifice for the ultimate forgiveness of sin.

Jesus’ Temptation

In typical Sergeant Joe Friday tradition, we then move to the temptation of Jesus.  Notice that we don’t have any mention of the three specific temptations that Jesus encountered as related by Matthew or Luke.  All we need to know is that Jesus went out and was tempted.  It is not ultimately important that we know how or why.  Sometimes all we need to know is that it happened.  Through the mysterious power of God, Jesus Christ was able to overcome the temptation to sin.

Passing through the temptation, we are then told that the time for ministry is now at hand.  As with John the Baptizer, we are told by Jesus to repent.  We are told that the Kingdom of Heaven has drawn near.

Kingdom of Heaven

At the risk of having to shorten up the conversation about the rest of the chapter, I want to talk specifically about this idea of the Kingdom of Heaven.  What is the Kingdom of Heaven?  In its simplest form, the Kingdom of Heaven is Christ.  It is living out the agenda of God.  It is declaring God’s ways as ultimate and living so as to fulfill them.  That is what Christ did, and it drew near to us in Christ.

However, the Kingdom of Heaven did not go away when Christ ascended.  It is still here.  When the Spirit moves within us and we are obedient to God’s calling, we are living in the Kingdom of Heaven.  When Christ Himself comes to us and invites us into a spiritual relationship with the Father we are living out the Kingdom of Heaven.  When we become tools for God and invite others into that same relationship with God we are living in the Kingdom of Heaven.  I’ve quoted it often on my blog, but I think Galatians 2:20 is the perfect answer to the question, “What is the Kingdom of Heaven?”  Paul says, “I have been crucified with Christ.  Therefore it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives within me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”  What is it that draws near to us?  It is the opportunity to be crucified with Christ and live according to an agenda different than the agenda of this world.

Calling the Disciples

Then Jesus begins to call disciples.  Notice what happens here.  Jesus calls his disciples away from the work they were doing.  He calls them away from their family.  He calls them away from the agenda of the world.  To be a disciple of Christ is to be open and willing to do whatever God makes possible.  It might mean leaving your career.  It might mean leaving your family.  It might mean going to different parts of the world.  After all, Peter, Paul, and most of the disciples spent little time in Jerusalem and Galilee once the Christian movement really got moving.  Being called into discipleship inherently means being willing to sacrifice for the call.

Preaching to the Towns

Finally, Jesus settles into a routine of preaching and healing.  I don’t have space to go into great depth here on this topic.  But one verse stuck out as I read the rest of Mark 1.  Jesus says, “Let’s go to the other towns to preach, because that’s what I came to do.”  I had to pause when I read that verse.  What makes Jesus so great?  Jesus accomplishes what He came to do.

Then I had to ask myself the same question.  Do I?  Do I accomplish what Jesus asks me to do?  Again this goes back to the point of being a disciple.  Am I really following God’s agenda?  Am I really willing to give up everything for His call?  When I am living out my day, can I respond that “I am doing what God has called me to do today?”


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment