Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Year 2, Day 275: Psalms 133-134

Psalm 133

Okay, so anyone else feel like today was cheating?  6 verses?  2 Psalms?  Are you kidding me?  I really do feel like I cheated today.  I didn’t cheat, but I feel like I did.  And it doesn’t mean I didn’t get anything out of my reading.  But I’m used to reading more than 6 verses!  LOL.

As I read this psalm, I couldn’t help but think of an often quoted adage which I usually quite vociferously disagree with: “Can’t we all just get along?”  At first, it seems like this is what the psalm is all about: getting along.  But the reality is that it couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Usually when people say, “Can’t we all just get along?” they are saying it because they are tired of fighting.  While I can certainly understand being tired of fighting, the outcome of this saying is usually very deconstructive.  When someone says, “Can’t we all just get along?” people are being made to feel shame because they actually believe in something deeply enough to stand up for it.  When people believe deeply, it is going to bring about conflict.  The idea that we all just “get along” is often akin to saying, “you think what you want and I’ll think what I want and our relationship will intentionally be shallow so we never have to realize that what you think and what I think are actually two different things.”

That isn’t at all what the psalmist is talking about here.  You see, humans who are “getting along” are not an expression of true unity.  It may be humans avoiding conflict, but it is not unity.  In order to have unity, you have to have a shared vision.  You have to have a shared belief system.  You have to have similar causes for which you stand.  That’s where true unity is found.  The psalmist is talking about unity here, not the absence of conflict.  So here is what the psalmist is saying in a fairly blunt package: it is a blessed thing indeed when two people believe in a kindred manner.

However, what truly brings people into a blessed unity is when we embrace God’s truth above our own.  What the psalmist is really encouraging here is for people to give up their own “ways of thinking” and embrace God’s way of thinking.  The psalmist is encouraging people to give up their “pet beliefs” and actually believe as God teaches.  The psalmist is saying that true unity comes when we give up ourselves and embrace God.

When I put it that way, it makes total sense.  If we all are genuinely saying “less of me and more of Him,” then shouldn’t we be able to be united?  If we are pursuing the same Him – and not “him made in my own image” – should we not be able to be united?  If the same God genuinely dwells within us, should we not be able to know unity?

Psalm 134

This leads us into the last of the Psalms of Ascent.  I hope that nobody was genuinely surprised by the focus of the last of these Psalms of Ascent.  Praise God.  Worship God.  Bless the Lord.  Come together in His name and give Him praise.  Yep.  It is all about Him.

I began talking about the Psalms of Ascent by giving two possibilities for their usage.  The first one is that these may be said at specific landmarks as pilgrims made their way to Jerusalem.  The second possibility is that these psalms may have been said as a person climbed their way up each of the fifteen steps to the temple.

Now imagine a pilgrim approaching Jerusalem and right before they enter the city the words of this psalm passes through their lips.  Or imagine a person climbing the temple and upon the last step before they enter the temple it is this psalm that passes through their lips.  I think it is neat to imagine a life where God is the last thing that crosses the mind of a people heading into His holy city or His holy temple.

Let’s take that thought and extrapolate it out to our lives.  Most Christians don’t make pilgrimage to Jerusalem anymore.  Nobody can enter the holy temple in Jerusalem now.  But that does not mean that this psalm is without meaning.  Are we not His temple?  Is not the church symbolically the same as Jerusalem?  What would it be like if the last thought before we entered His church was about Him?  What would it be like if before we used His temple – our bodies – we remembered God and gave Him glory?  How would our lives be different if whenever we acted we remembered that we are in the presence of God?

I think that’s the power of this short psalm.  We are to give God praise and blessing and glory.  If we are His temple, He should be on our mind.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment