Thursday, November 15, 2012

Year 2, Day 319: Proverbs 28

Okay, Proverbs 28:2 has the serious potential for a reasonable rabbit trail for me.  I’m aware of this.  So I’ll try and keep it on point as much as possible.  But this is a topic that is very important to me.

Unity Trumps Fragmentation

Proverbs 28:2 tells us that a land with transgression has many leaders; but a land with a single leader that has knowledge and understanding has stability.  I’ve read all kinds of thoughts from all kinds of people about the “State of the Union” – many of whom are close friends of mine and even readers of this blog whose opinions I respect very much.  Some people are angry.  Some people are confused.  Many people easily fall into the category of “unsure.”  I know I would readily put myself into the category of “unsure!”  I am worried for our country.  I’m worried for my new state.  I’m worried for my new community.  I’m worried even down to the level of the individual families in our country.

I’ve heard people talk about how we are fragmenting as a culture; I believe that to be true.  I’ve heard many people talk about how we are more polarized than ever on all issues – not just voting party; I believe that to be true as well.  I believe the first half of Proverbs 28:2 is speaking directly to us and countries like us.

Okay, here’s where the rabbit trail begins. I’ll do my best with it.  Look at what Proverbs 28:2 says is the root of the problem: too many leaders.  Now, I’m going to go a bit figurative here.  Yes, we have physical leaders in our world.  We have the president, athletic superstars, pop-culture sensations, famous authors, movie stars, etc.  But we have figurative leaders as well: personal rights, feminist movements, health care, the banking industry, the price of oil, the “Almighty Dollar,” academic institutions, etc.  Our country is fragmenting because all of these leaders – or leading ideals – pull our country in a direction of their own choosing.  You can turn on FOX News and be pulled one way.  You can turn on CNN and be pulled the opposite way.  You can turn on Disney and be pulled in a completely different way {and yes, Disney, Nickelodian, etc all have their agendas!}.  You can read a paper and be pulled another way.  You can listen to radio and be pulled some more.  You can listen to secular music and be pulled all over the map!  Our kids can worship the “gods” of athletics and winning and competition.  Our kids can worship the “gods” of education and pursue competition and other unhealthy dynamics there as well.*

The truth is: we have too many “leaders” in our life.

God tells us the solution.  The question is: are we going to listen to it?  As a community, there is one answer to fragmentation: reduce the number of “leaders” in our life.  A community with one understanding and knowledgeable leader will have stability.  One leader means one vision.  One vision means people are buying into the vision.  When people buy into the vision we learn that we don’t have to compete for our time; rather, we begin to see ourselves as a part of the greater picture.  Instead of life being about what I want and my ability to assert myself and the leaders I’m trying to follow, life becomes about following “the leader” and playing my part.  Do you see the difference?  A life of many leaders is about being assertive and aggressive towards other “leaders” and their agendas.  A life of one leader is about humbleness, being willing to follow, and being a disciple.

Who Is The Leader

The million dollar question is: who is the one leader?  There can only be one answer: God.  Now I know what you are saying.  “Gee, wouldn’t that be nice?  If God came down here in person I would happily follow Him.”  Well, He did.  He’s called Jesus.  The solution to our fragmenting country – or world, even – is that we need to turn more and more towards Jesus.  He needs to become our leader.  His teachings need to infiltrate EVERY aspect of our life.  Everything we do needs to begin with the premise of: how does this fit into God’s plan?

Sound impossible?  It’s not. It is very hard, I’ll give you that.  But it is not impossible.  It goes back to that reoccurring theme I’ve been chasing inside and out of these Proverbs.  Humbleness comes before honor.  Am I willing to let everything pass under God’s judgment?  Am I willing to get rid of those things in my life that are not of Him?  Am I willing to cast away those “leaders” who are pulling me in many directions and only bringing confusion into my life?

We are a fragmented nation.  We are a fragmented world.  But let’s face it.  We’ve also fragmented Christ’s church.  We’ve fragmented our families.  We’ve fragmented our lives.  It starts right here and right now.  It starts with a single person studying God’s Word.  It starts right here with you.  Are you willing to get on your knees, humbly confess the “leaders” in your life that are not following God’s agenda, and then ask God to reveal to you how to cast them out of your life?

A few days back I had an interesting discussion online with a man I’d never met and likely never will meet.  He was talking to me from the assumption that He believed I thought I could change the world.  I can’t.  You can’t, either.  All I can change is me.  All you can change is you.  But if I change my “leadership” and reduce it down to one leader (God) and you change the same, together we might be able to be the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in the life of a third person.  Together we three might be able to inspire a fourth. 

You see, I don’t really believe the world is changed in any other way than one person at a time.  Jesus did it one person at a time.  His disciples also did it one conversation at a time.  That’s good enough for me, too.

So here’s my question at the end of this rabbit trail.  Are you willing to be humble to the truth in Proverbs 28:2 and confess all the leaders in your life?  Are willing to confess that not all of them are following a godly agenda?  Are you willing to cast away those who are not godly?  Are you willing to follow God and live a life that genuinely desires to make all decisions under the pattern of aligning with what God would have you choose?

<>< 

Nota Bene: I realize that this whole blog post appears to have centered on a single verse in this chapter.  I do not apologize for that.  However, for further reading I would encourage you to consider how Proverbs 28:4-5, 7, 9-10, 14-16, 18, 20, and 26 really had a say in all that I said above.


*Note: I’m not saying things like sports, athletic programs, and education are bad things.  But when we focus on winning, beating down our competitors, and sacrificing many things in our life for ultimate success we can even take good things and turn them into false gods.  Our culture is very good and turning good constructive things into false gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment