Friday, May 23, 2014

Year 4, Day 143: Numbers 28

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Provision

  • Provision: God gives us what we truly need.  God knows our needs better than we can know them.  We learn to trust God to provide for us.

I’m going to stick with the theme of provision again today.  The sacrificial system always gets such a bad rap.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m glad we don’t have to sacrifice those animals.  As the spiritual leader of a group of people, I’m glad I don’t have to do all the slaughtering that the Levites and priests had to do.  So I’m grateful to live when I do; but that doesn’t mean I cannot appreciate the sacrificial system for what it truly does.

Let’s consider a point for a second.   If God expects me to sacrifice a goat, I need to have a goat.  If God expects me to sacrifice an ox, a goat, a lamb, some flour, and some oil then I had actually best live in a reasonable prosperous land.  To make those sacrifices will take a farm, not just some money.  To make the sacrifices God expects, He has to put me in a place where such sacrifices can even be accomplished!  He has to put me in a place where the ground can sustain people, herds, and crops!

Before you get me wrong, I’m not trying to preach a prosperity Gospel.  I’m not saying that God prospers those who love Him more – or those who sacrifice to Him more.  What I am trying to say is that God is a generous God.  If God places us underneath an expectation, He is His infinite power will make a way for that expectation to happen.  Sure, we can still squander His provision and abuse His generosity.  But the reality is that He is still generous in the first place.  The sacrificial system of the Hebrew people speaks loudly to the generous hand of a God who desires to grant us His daily provision.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment