Monday, February 23, 2015

Year 5, Day 54: Nehemiah 7

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Semi-Circle, Rhythm

  • Rhythm: We are designed to work from rest, not rest from work.  God has created us to be a people of rhythm in which we rest (abide), grow, work (bear fruit), and prune.  The better we understand this natural rhythm in life, the more satisfied we will feel in life and the more we will be able to be in tune with succeeding in what God desires our life to be about.

Although Nehemiah 7 appears to be a long list of names – and it is – I think there is some depth here that we can ponder.  Before we get to the names, Nehemiah gives orders about when the gates can be open and when they should be shut.  He also gives orders about setting up guards at the gates and within the cities.  I think both of these things lead to rhythm in life.

Nehemiah is telling us to be careful when we let outside influences in.  With respect to the city, Nehemiah is saying, “Only leave the city vulnerable when the sun is high and there are no places near the wall where people can hide and take you by surprise.”  This is the point of the guards, too.  Nehemiah is telling the people that the city needs guards at the points of entry, but it also needs guards throughout the city as well just to make sure.

For me, these things actually speak about rhythm.  I am less vulnerable to outside influences when I am living in rhythm.  I am best when I know that I am only opening myself up to the outside when I am safe.  I am able to open myself up to the world when I have taken time to assess who I am.  When I have abided with God and grow, I am best able to be open to the world and do the work of God.  But then when the time is right I need to so bearing fruit, close myself up, and return to abide with the Lord and take stock of what is still inside.

When I live like the city of Jerusalem – open when it is safe and guarded internally so as to always be able to take stock of what is happening – I am best able to do the work of God.  When I have a rhythm of spiritual life – abiding, growing, bearing fruit, and pruning so that I can once more abide – I am best able to be obedient to the call of the Lord.

<><


No comments:

Post a Comment