Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Year 1, Day 54: Exodus 5

Bricks without Straw

“You have made us stink in the sight of Pharaoh and his servants, and you have put a sword in his hand to kill us.”  “Why, Lord, did you do evil to these people?  Why did you send me?”  These are classic quotations that expose the human mindset. 

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not trying to judge Moses and his fellow Hebrew people.  The reality is that when humans are confronted with problems we always begin our attempt to solve the problem with complaining about how things aren’t working out.  Granted, after that little pity-party we usually get to a more productive end and discover God’s ultimate plan.  But the reality is that as human beings we have to work through the short-sightedness of our human mindset before we can achieve the long-sightedness of God’s plan.

Pharaoh’s Answer

In that context, let’s take a little look at Pharaoh’s response to Moses’ initial proclamation to allow the people to leave.  Moses is only asking for a three day trip into the wilderness.  Yet Pharaoh can only think about the work that they would miss out on if he capitulates.  He cannot stand seeing the people missing work, so he responds by denying the presence of “the Lord” – a God whom he does not know. 

The world has so very little respect for God and His Word in comparison to their own agendas, tasks, and lives that they can see, feel, touch, and experience.  Pharaoh’s circumstances that are known – needing bricks for his building campaign – is much more important to him than anything a God whom he doesn’t know could possibly be saying to him.  Take notice of this response, because it is very common in the world.

The Hebrew Response

Unfortunately, the Hebrew people turn to Pharaoh to solve their problem before they turn to God.  The Hebrew people turn to Pharaoh and consult him as to how they can be expected to make bricks without straw.  Now don’t get me wrong.  I do think that when we have a problem we should try to work it out and come to a mutual understanding between those in conflict.  But we should turn to God first before going forth and trying to solve the problem.  There is a saying that God’s grace goes before us whenever we are successful.

The Hebrew people seem to miss out on that fact.  So do I, quite honestly.  How many problems have I tried to solve because I thought I knew the right course of action, but in truth I forgot to pause and check with God’s will first?  I think that is just human habit, and a bad one at that.  These Hebrew people go about trying to solve a problem that God is planning on using to remove them from bondage completely!  They miss the boat this time, and I am no better.

Moses Gets Grief for His Effort

When the people come to him with grief, notice that the people don’t come to Moses for help but rather to give him grief.  However, Moses does turn to God first.  So Moses actually does what is right. 

But if we look at Moses’ words we can still see the human lack of confidence and foresight into God’s plan.  Moses hears their grief and accuses God of doing evil to the people.  Moses hears their grief and doubts his own ability to lead. 

I think Moses is being very human here.  As I asked with the Hebrew people, so I also ask here.  How many times have I done the same thing?  Even when I turn to God, how many times do I turn to God because I am actually lacking faith in what God is doing?  How many times do I turn to God and rather than asking God to reveal Himself instead I blame God for bringing about a roadblock to what I thought should happen? 

I’m no better than Moses in this chapter.  The truth is that I find that I have a lot in common with Moses.  It’s fun to lead when things are going well.  It is frustrating to lead and easy to complain when things are going poorly.

Yet – as we shall see in the next few chapters – God is good.  God sees Pharaoh’s unwillingness to listen, the Hebrews’ unwillingness to come to Him, and Moses’ self doubt.  He and He alone uses all of that to make a wonderful thing.  God will use all of those negative human reactions to show us how great an emancipator He can be. 

The fact that God is interested in emancipation is ultimately good news for those of us who are guilty of sin.  The fact that we all have something from which we can be freed means that we should be keenly interested in a God who makes claims all throughout His Word that He is capable of freeing us from whatever bondage we are in.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment