Friday, February 25, 2011

Year 1, Day 56: Exodus 7

Pharaoh’s Heart

Okay, it’s time for the whole “hardening of the heart” conversation.  I have wrestled with this issue for decades, and I still continue to wrestle with it.  The Bible is very clear throughout the next few chapters.  Sometimes we will hear the words “God hardened Pharaoh’s heart” and sometimes we will hear the words “Pharaoh hardened his own heart.”  As far as I can tell, each set of words is accurately translated in each passage.

“What’s the dilemma?” you might ask.  Well, for me the dilemma has always been that if God hardens Pharaoh’s heart, then Pharaoh didn’t really have a choice to let the people go.  If he didn’t have a choice, then the punishment is unfair because God is punishing Pharaoh for something that God forced him to do.  Mind you, I believe God is powerful enough to force Pharaoh to do anything.  But the thought of God forcing Pharaoh to undergo the plagues doesn’t jive with the God that I know from the entire rest of the Holy Scripture.

On the other hand, the Bible is clear that in some places “God hardened Pharaoh’s heart.”  So how do we justify the authority of scripture with God’s creation of free will within us?

I have come upon a new theory – one that I like better than all the others.  It isn’t perfect, I’ll confess.  But I don’t think there is a perfect answer to this question because if there was people would stop asking it generation after generation.  Since this question is always asked when this passage is studied, it means that this question is hard and points to the very core of what it means to be in relationship with God.  That means that it is a great question to wrestle with.

So, here’s my new understanding: If we look at the places where God speaks of hardening Pharaoh’s heart we can see that God is actually speaking with respect to the signs of power.  In other words, God is not forcing the hardening of the heart as much as He is displaying great power and making demands against Pharaoh that Pharaoh will not accept.  God is not forcing Pharaoh to resist God; rather God knows that Pharaoh will resist Him and God uses Pharaoh’s belief that he is a god against him.

The Apologetics Study Bible: Real Questions, Straight Answers, Stronger Faith has a great quote on this very topic:
“The Bible teaches that human beings are free to make choices (Genesis 2:19; 4:7; Ezekiel 18:2–32). God is good (Psalm 25:8; 34:8; 100:5) and always acts consistently with His nature. Yet people can choose to rebel against God’s goodness, and consistent rebellion can lead to their hearts being ‘hardened.’ As the saying goes, ‘The same sun that melts butter also hardens clay.’ Egyptian pharaohs believed they were divine, and Pharaoh would never have been inclined to submit to the Israelites’ God. Each time God placed a demand on him, he became more determined to resist. Thus it was both God’s demands and Pharaoh’s own pride-motivated stubbornness (Exodus 8:15, 32; 9:34) that led to his hardened heart. God would use Pharaoh’s stubbornness for a good end, to demonstrate His power and extend His reputation (Exodus 9:16).”

I really like this quote, because to me it does a great job explaining why the Bible flips between expression of God hardening Pharaoh’s heart and Pharaoh hardening his own heart.  God did not force anything upon Pharaoh.  Rather, God knew that as His displays of power got strong, so would Pharaoh’s resistance to them.  When God says “I will harden Pharaoh’s heart” there is a particular claim that is being made. God is saying that His displays of power will be so great that Pharaoh’s heart will be hardened because of Pharaoh’s own stubbornness. 

If Pharaoh believes himself to be a god, then God is going to raise the ante.  God will do incredible things in Pharaoh’s midst until the pinnacle of Pharaoh’s pride is breeched.  Ultimately, God used Pharaoh’s false belief in his divinity against him.  That is a thought into which I can really buy.

Snakes

Let’s move beyond that discussion and move into thoughts about the actual snake incident.  Through this incident we see the willingness of the people to believe the Pharaoh’s claim to be divine.  Aaron, a representative of the God of the Hebrews made his staff into a snake.  The magicians, representatives of the Pharaoh whom they claimed as divine, also turned their staffs into snakes.  The fact that Aaron’s snake consumes them is a clear indication that God’s power is greater than the Pharaoh’s power.  We have a clear demonstration from God that He is powerful – more powerful than Pharaoh. 

In truly human fashion, Pharaoh isn’t interested in hearing about it.

The same is true about the water Nile.  The water turns blood red.  The Pharaoh’s magicians accomplish the same feat.  But what they are missing is that they cannot turn it back into regular clear water.  If the Egyptian magicians really wanted to prove something, they should have tried to undo what God had done!

God has assaulted the biggest avatar of the Egyptian gods and no Egyptian can do anything about it.  The water remains blood for seven days.  Even if the Egyptian magicians did turn the water blood red, nothing can be done to prevent God’s authoritative statement against the Egyptian gods of the Nile.  God has made a second claim of supremacy over Egypt.

Pharaoh still wants nothing to do with it.

It is unfortunate that humans always feel like they have to be in control.  How often do we let our demand for control interfere with what God is trying to say to us?  The snake event and the water in the Nile were seemingly harmless points at which Pharaoh could have taken notice and moved on in a greater understanding of God.  But that is not what happened.  God’s displays of power get Pharaoh’s hackles raised and the standoff between Pharaoh and God is confirmed.


<>< 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting point of view on the topic. I've heard that view before, and I asked this question back because I don't have an answer really myself. This (and Job) more than anything else cause me issues as far as God' nature, which honestly comes across to a human as slightly schizophrenic. All I've been able to conclude is that God is more complex then I can fathom, and since I accept He is fully just (by definition almost) through, it must be good and I just can't get it. So, I don't try too much (Except when I study Exodus, Job, or a few other places where God seems almost 'mean' -- again in human terms)

    Your specific thinking has a strong conflict with Romans 9:15-20, but I think you know that already because I know you to be a very good scholar. It's almost (ok is!) the Predestination vs. Free Will issue, and I fully buy into the free will point of view, personally believing that 'In God's Image' really is the Free Will gift. So, I guess I'm arguing here while sincerely wishing I could embrace the point of view you're stating. I think it works here (in Ex 7), but breaks down elsewhere. I simply say how well can the flea understand the dog, and accept that sometimes I'm the flea.

    Interesting thoughts, and thanks for your point of view. I don't mean to sound argumentative -- because I don't feel I have the "right" answer so I can't really argue a positive only throw counterpoints -- I just wish I did have a fully satisfying one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow up (because I fear I explained myself poorly): On 'free will', I believe both predestination and free will are true -- because predestination is a time concept, and truly God is outside of time so its illogical for His frame of reference to have a predestination because the very word requires that it happen before destination. We humans however, are incapable of really understanding living outside of time, where what was is and is will be, and will be was. So, to us it seems as predestination.

    So back to fleas and dogs for me again -- I'm incapable of understanding the complexities of this. I'm hopeful (but have no reason to believe so other than desire) that once risen with Jesus these types of concepts will be a frame of reference that I can appreciate, and admire even for how cool God really is that I can't yet even appreciate!

    Perhaps that outlines my position better. (Sorry if I'm blog stealing, I don't mean to!)


    (Oh, and don't make be break out math and start talking 2D and 3D constructs and how an object in 2D space has no way to understand a 3D space exists! My triple integrals are VERY VERY rough these days -- lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries at all about blog stealing! This is what the blog is for.

    As for a response, I will base my entire response on Romans 3:21-26 as I see this section of Romans as the entire crux of Paul's work and the section through which all other portions of Romans should be interpreted. In romans 3:21-26 Paul essentially says that all have sinned. All deserve condemnation. Anyone who is justified is justified solely by His grace and not at all by their works. It is precisely this section of Romans that convinces me that all people (even Mother Theresa) are inherently evil. For if we are not all inherently evil, then what gives Paul the right to say that all fall short of the glory of God?

    So, why is this so important? Because this section mediates Romans 9 very nicely. Both Pharaoh and Moses, the people in the section of ROmans you quote, are guilty. Both have sinned. Both are actually guilty of murder! Since both stand before God condemned, God treats them both the same way: God gives each of them a display of His power.

    Moses gets the burning bush. Moses could have run away screaming mad. Moses could have ignored it. But when confronted with God's power Moses repents and falls to his knees. Therefore, God not only understands Moses as condemned but also as someone who receives grace/mercy. But don't misunderstand the full point. Moses is guilty and stands condemned for his own sinfulness.

    Pharaoh, on the other hand, receives a different demonstrationthan the burning bush regarding God's power. Pharaoh receives the staff/snake incident as well as the Nile water incident. Instead of humbleness, Pharaoh responds with human bravado. Pharaoh puffs himself up and refuses to be humble or repentant. So Pharaoh stands condemned before God and displays no reason for mercy.

    But the truth of the story is that both Moses and Pharaoh were treated the same way. Both are evil - in that they have fallen short of God's glory because they are sinners. Both see a demonstration of God's power. The only difference is how they respond to the demonstration. Moses humbles himself, Pharaoh gives God bravado.

    I think that is the main difference about this new way of thinking about this story (ok, new way for me). Seeing God's "hardening of Pharaoh's heart" as really the displays of power actually shows that He treats all of us the same way. We are all guilty and stand condemned before God. but all of us get opportunities throughout our life to see God's hand at work. Those of us who see it and humble ourselves in His presence will also receive grace over and above condemnation. Those who refuse to acknowledge God's hand will still receive what they have earned: condemnation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fair response. If I knew what sound a flea made, I would've replied with only that sound! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow up: I looked up "inherently" as part of reading your response. Websters defines it as:

    : involved in the constitution or essential character of something : belonging by nature or habit : intrinsic

    So, I can now agree with you that all are inherently evil. We debated this once on FB, and I still maintain fallen man without the Holy Spirit can still desire to do good, and do good for that matter.

    So, man is inherently good too -- the God's image part in each of us which includes free will.

    Man however, due to our fallen nature, can never be good enough to "Earn" heaven or the presence of God, who is essentially and wholly good. We need grace, and a savior, and can never get there on our own.

    Not trying to mince words at all in this. I think its a very important area, as it speaks to our need for a savior as I just said.

    So, thanks for making me look up inherently.... I can now say man is inherently good and inherently evil. *and for humor: human-man is inherently water, for that matter* Should make for some future great discussion with someone. Also a great approach path to an atheist to have some since sharing opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is indeed a good comment to bring out. As usual for myself (being the glass half-empty guy that I am) I confess I did focus on the inherently evil part and am glad you brought to light the inherently good part. Because we are created in God's image we are also inherently good. But as you say, that inherently evil part gets in the way of our salvation.

    I'm still not completely sure that mankind can do good without the Holy Spirit, though. Still debating that one in my mind. But thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, it took a second reading of your last post for me to really appreciate what you did there with the contrast between "inherently" and "wholly." While humanity is inherently evil (through our fall) and inherently good (through our creator), God is both inherently and wholly good.

    I don't know if that was an intentional choice of words or not, but as a person who enjoys thorough theology I really am grateful for your choices of words there. If not an intentional choice at the moment, it certainly fits the intended meaning of your comment. So thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a great discussion. And even if we don't fully agree on this particular issue (knat vs. God's hardening means that God's demonstration of power hardened by Pharoh's still free will choice). The debate has been great and has stretched my thinking.

    I think all Christians should serious challenge and wrestle with scripture, because it gets us closer to God. Blind faith is weak faith because one bad event/thing (as you discuss in Ex 8) can shake it.

    And, I'm glad you caught the wholly verses inherently, as I did do that quite deliberately.

    A lot of my ministry is to the "burnt" Christian or atheist these days, and one common thing is if "How if he's not 'saved' can have done so many good things. This new way of thinking will help in those discussions.

    So -- yeah Blog!

    ReplyDelete