Sunday, July 17, 2011

Year 1, Day 198: Joshua 13

Joshua Is Suddenly Old

Today we hear about Joshua being old and advanced in years.  That title took me down the path of age and leadership.  I don’t know about you, but I always picture Joshua young.  I think I do this because I know that Joshua is Moses’ mentee and I assume therefore that he is younger than Moses.  The only problem is that Moses had lived 80 years before the Exodus even began!  So if Moses was 80 when the Exodus began, Joshua could have still been middle-aged and been younger than Moses.

Don’t also forget that Joshua was at least a young adult (what we’d call today a teenager) when the Hebrew people scouted the land the first time.  And that was before the 40 years in the wilderness.  So Joshua was at least 50 or 55 when he took over for Moses. 

Truth be told, Jewish tradition puts Joshua at 85 years of age when he took over for Moses (who at the time of his death was 120).  If tradition is correct, Joshua was no young leader full of vigor as he went into the Promised Land!  If he wasn’t a young leader when the conquest began, no wonder that the Bible calls him old and advanced in years when the first stage of conquest is over!

So what does this mean for us?  Well, it means a few things. 

Correlation Between Age and Wisdom

First, we can see that there is reason that wisdom rests in the older portion of the population.  It takes experience to become wise.  We’d all love to be wise at 20 – or even 16!  And when we are of that age, most of us actually believe we are pretty wise.  But true wisdom sets in much later than 20.  As I sit here writing this in my mid-thirties I now know all too well that I don’t even have true wisdom yet.  I’d love to say that I am wise, but the reality is that I simply don’t have enough life experience to be truly wise.  I still find myself needing to step back and learn from the wisdom of the more mature in the faith.  I mean, if Joshua at 45 can step back and be the mentee of Moses … then what does that say about any of us?  Sure, we are all called to be a Christ’s priests.  But we should not also be too proud to understand our limitations and room for growth, either.

Seeing It to the End

The second thing it says is that sometimes we don’t finish the job.  Moses didn’t get to come into the Promised Land.  Joshua doesn’t get to see the fullest extent of the Hebrew conquest of Canaan.  God told Joshua it was time to pass the torch along to someone else.  Joshua needs to divide up the land and his duties will be done.  There is nothing wrong with thinking that God is big enough to successfully have others finish the work before us.

Wait.  Is There an End to God’s Work?

That leads us to a third understanding.  There is always more work to do.  Until Christ returns, there will always be more work.  We will never be able to sit back and say, “It is finished.”  Only Christ can say that – in fact, he’ll actually say it twice!  Once upon the cross, and once when He returns in glory!  So we should not fool ourselves in that regard, either.  There will always be more work to be done.  So rather than setting our sights on the elusive goal of “being done so we can put our feet up and rest” – a goal which we’ll never reach – let’s just accomplish what God has set before us and keep plugging away at it.

Well, I took us down a bit of a rabbit trail today.  But I felt it was worth it.  Peace.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment