Sunday, June 24, 2012

Year 2, Day 175: Psalm 27

Psalm 27

Psalm 27 is a psalm of David in which the focus is on the salvation of the Lord.  I love the way that this psalm opens.  “The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?”  What a powerful confession.

This is really is a powerful thought, although I am guilty for not giving it the credit that it is due.  Here is the reason that it is so powerful.  Who that ever lived will experience God failing them?

Think about that for a moment.  What genuine follower of God will God fail?  Even if life deals out its worst and a person ends up in a premature death, will we not live eternally with God? 

As I write this, I am reminded quite a bit about Jesus’ earliest followers.  Peter?  Died prematurely.  Paul?  Died prematurely.  John?  Exiled to Patmos, ministry ended prematurely.  Stephen?  Died prematurely.  I could go on quite a bit with more examples.  Did God fail them as He bid them to come and live eternally with Him?  I think not.

What about martyrs in the modern world?  Dietrich Bonhoeffer?  Died prematurely.  Oscar Romero?  Died prematurely.  Wang Zhiming?  Died prematurely.  Again, I could go on and on.  Did God fail them?  Absolutely not.  The world treated them harshly and it is God who saved them.  As David says in the opening verses, whom shall I fear?

This is a wonderful means of gaining perspective.  If those who are martyred for the faith have not been failed by God, then what complaint do any of us who are still living have?  Has not God sustained our life up until now?  Has not God caused us to draw breath for at least one more day?  The Lord is my light and salvation, whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?

Then David moves on.  When evildoers surround us to consume our flesh – yes, that’s literally what it says – why will we fear?  When the enemy encamps around us and war rises against us, why be afraid?  Is there any enemy out there that can take away the one thing that we need: dwelling with God forever?  What enemy can snatch us out of the hand of God?  Name one thing in the world that is capable of permanently forcing us to miss out on seeing the beauty of the Lord every day?

Here is the truth.  The only enemy that has the power to accomplish this is yourself.  Or for me, myself.  Think about it.  God has given the free gift of salvation to all that would receive it.  Embrace the Holy Spirit and He is the guarantor of eternal life.  {Ephesians 1:13-14}  Who can keep the Holy Spirit from dwelling in us but ourselves?  If I reject God’s gift, then I do choose God’s wrath instead of His salvation.  But if I embrace God’s gift of salvation to me, who can pry me out of the hands of my Savior?  If you embrace God’s gift and do not reject His ways, who can pry you out of God’s hand?

So of whom should we be afraid?  Shall we be afraid of the person who can make our life miserable?  Absolutely not.  Did Paul shrink back when he was faced with imprisonment?  Did Isaiah stop prophesying when they threatened him and opponents rose up against him?  Did Moses turn and recant when the vast Egyptian army came out to pursue him and his ragtag community of followers?

Should we be afraid of the person that can end our life?  Absolutely not.  Did Luke the Evangelist recant when they went to hang him?  Did Mark the Evangelist recant as they chopped off his head in Alexandria?  Did Jan Hus recant when they lit a slow fire underneath him in the Middle Ages?  Truth be known, Hus’ reaction instead of recanting was to ask God to forgive those who were about to kill him.  Think on that for a moment.  There is a genuine follower of Jesus Christ if I’ve ever seen one!

No.  We have nothing to fear so long as we are with God.  He will lift our head up.  We shall offer sacrifices in His tent.  He will teach us His ways.  We will look upon His goodness.  So long as we do not reject His free gift of salvation, we have nothing to fear.  What a powerful psalm.  What an inspiration to the faithful to be faithful even in death.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment