Thursday, June 28, 2012

Year 2, Day 179: Psalms 34-35

Psalm 34

Psalm 34 begins with another challenging statement.  Of course it does!  It is another praise psalm.  I’m sorry to keep beating this horse, but I think it is one of the big lessons that God wanted to teach me about the psalms this time through them.  The praise psalms are psalms where we find challenge to improve our own behavior!

Look at how this psalm opens.  “I will bless the Lord at all times.”  Let me take this sentence word by word or phrase by phrase. 
  • “I.”  This means me.  I’m not supposed to rely on someone else to do it for me.  When I go to church, I bless Him.  When I go to work, I bless Him.  When I go to Walmart, I bless Him.  It’s not good enough to hear the pastor bless Him and say it’s okay.  It’s not good enough to go to Walmart and see someone else in a Chrisitan T-shirt or see someone else helping a person in God’s name; I need to be proclaiming God’s Gospel and blessing His name myself.  Yes, it is great that other people are doing what I should be doing at all times.  But I need to do it, too.
  • “Will bless.”  Another way of thinking about this word is “exalt” or “give praise.”  I am to be about praising God’s name.  It doesn’t say “can bless” or even “should bless.”  It says “will bless.”  There is no wiggle room.  If I am going to follow God, I will exalt Him.  I will give praise to Him.  I will bless Him.
  • “The Lord.”  God is the object of my life.  I am not to bless my job.  I’m not even to bless my family.  I’m not to bless my spiritual mentor.  God is the object of my life.  Don’t get me wrong, God does want us to have meaningful relationships with our employer, our family, and even our spiritual mentors.  But I am to bless God.  I can give them credit for being God’s wonderful tools in my life, but I am to bless God.
  • “At all times.”  This is the one that nailed me today.  It doesn’t say, “when convenient” or “when I go to church/temple” or even “when I am in the privacy of my prayer life.”  It says that I will bless the Lord at all times.  That means right now.  It means later today when I’m out in the world.  It means those times when I’m driving down the road and I’m stuck in traffic.  It means those times when a loved one dies.  It means … well … at all times!


For the record, if you don’t think David meant this when he wrote it, read the next line.  “His praise shall continually be in my mouth.”  What is in my mouth?  Who am I to praise?  Where is the praise located?  How often is the praise supposed to be there?  Yeah.  David meant what he says here.

I’ve taken a bunch of space on one line of the psalm, and I do want to make two more quick comments about this psalm.  First of all, notice that David gives plenty of reasons for which God can be praised.  Second, don’t overlook the insertion of verse 19 into the meaning of this psalm.  “Many are the afflictions of the righteous.”  Many!  Those who follow in God’s ways will be tested and tried by this world and the ruler of it.  David knows this, and this is all the more reason that we are to take the first two lines seriously.  If praise of God is always upon our lips, when the trials and afflictions of this life come we will be better prepared to handle them.

Psalm 35

Psalm 35 is just about the opposite in tone as Psalm 34 – although note that the last verse of this psalm shows us that whether in mourning (this psalm) or rejoicing (the prior psalm) that the praise of the Lord should be upon our lips. 

I don’t know about you, but when I read psalms of lament I have a far different emotional experience than when I read psalms of celebration.  When I read psalms of lament, I can empathize with the psalmist.  I can feel the pain.  I can join in the flow of the psalm.

However, in this psalm of lament I was struck by one overarching theme.  Notice how David balances his desire for vindication with humbleness before God.  It is natural for him to desire that his name be vindicated.  It is natural for him to want to escape the persecution under which he finds himself.  But he does not go out and seek the vindication on his own might.  He turns to the Lord and trusts that the Lord will make all things right in the end.

This is a really powerful thought today.  David turns to God and trusts God with “vengeance.”  This is a great time to make connections to other places in the Bible.  Proverbs 20:22.  Deuteronomy 32:35-36.  Psalm 94:1.  Romans 12:19.  Hebrews 10:30-31 (Don’t miss verse 31!).  I think we really need to start practicing the belief that if we trust in the Lord, we need to trust Him with everything – especially vengeance.

We are in the Lord’s hands.  Let put our trust in Him.  He will save us far better than we can save ourselves.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment