Monday, February 18, 2013

Year 3, Day 49: Isaiah 65

A Stench in the Nostrils of the Lord

In many ways, Isaiah 65 becomes a great summary of the book of Isaiah.  The Lord says that His own people have become nothing more than smoke in His nostrils.  He implies that He gives them no heed.  He implies that the relationship simply isn’t there.

Although we’ve been down this road before, it does make me contemplate again what it is that the Hebrew people have done to deserve such a pronouncement.  If we look in these first 7 verses, we can find out several answers.  First, the people disregard His Law - they eat pig’s flesh!  {As a lover of barbeque, I am really glad that Jesus tells Peter in a vision that all things are clean for eating in Christ!}  Second, they are haughty in that they look at other people and say, “Don’t come near to us, we’re too holy for you.”  Third, they were adulterous - they made sacrifices on mountains to other gods.  Fourth, they are self-centered – they follow their own devices.  Fifth, they are stubbornly rebellious – in spite of the fact that God stretches out His hand they refuse to obey Him and listen to His voice.

Here’s the thing.  I can’t say that over the course of my life that I haven’t done any of these things, either.  I’ve certainly sinned.  I’ve looked down on people to whom I should’ve instead offered a hand to help raise them up.  I’ve pursued other “gods” in my life – I’ve certainly not always lived as though I’m pursuing God most!  I’m guilty of being self-centered.  I’ve also been known to be stubborn and dig in my heels, too.  I wonder if there are days that I am myself a stench in the nostrils of the Lord.  I wonder if there are days where God would rather smell a middle school locker room rather than gaze upon the efforts of my day.

 There’s an image that’ll drive a person to repentance!

Remnant

So what are we to do?  I have no doubt as I went through that list that any self-respecting and modestly humble person was agreeing right along with me.  We’re all that way.  What are we to do?

If we look at verses 8-16, we see that God provides two answers.  First, there is the possibility of the righteous remnant.  God will not destroy everything and everyone.  To those who are willing to become like new grapes – in other words, to repent and humble themselves before God – God will remember His promise to forgive and He will start anew.  The repentant will be like fields and valleys that are retrained to be fertile pasture land.  In fact, in verse 15 God says that His servants shall be called by a different name.

But there is a second option.  Those who continue to persist in their rebellion will be destined to the sword.  Those to whom God called but they did not heed the call will be sent off for destruction.  These people persist in doing evil before the Lord.  The image is not pretty.  In fact, the word that God uses in verse 12 is simple: it will be a slaughter.  Or perhaps you prefer the imagery given in verse 15: “The Lord will put you to death.”

There’s another image that will drive a person to repentance!

Future Vision

Finally we turn to the last section of this chapter.  This is a beautiful vision of the future.  I say specifically the future here, because I do not believe that this is one of those passages that have two layers of interpretation.  Verse 17 is clear.  God will create a new heaven and a new earth.  The former things will not be remembered.  Certainly God has brought about a new era through His Son Jesus the Christ.  But God has not created a new heaven and a new earth – yet.  Therefore, I believe this portion of the chapter in Isaiah is a promise on God’s behalf that we are still waiting to see come to fruition.

I love the final images of this section.  In the new age {That’s a pretty cool song from the band King’s X, by the way} God will have an answer to us before we can even ask our question.  God promises to hear us while we are just forming the words upon our lips.    The wolf will graze like a lamb – and the wolf and the lamb shall graze together.  No longer will life be about the loss of life being necessary to sustain the life of another.  All life will graze off of and be contented with what the Lord provides.  We shall neither hurt nor destroy in this new age that God will create.

On one hand, I say, “Come, Lord Jesus.”  I want that new age.  But on the other hand, I will not pray that prayer in earnest.  There are far too many people who do not know the love of God.  So yes, Lord, bring on that new age.  But before you do that, teach us how to be used by you to reach a world that is in desperate need of hearing your voice.


<>< 

5 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting to see that in the new Jerusalem there is work--things aren't just handed to us. But the work is fruitful for those doing the work. It isn't done for others (as in slavery). (v. 21-23) And apparently all will have work.

    I am thinking a lot about vocation lately, and also reading a lot about the intersection of work (as in occupation) and faith. So I guess this is a "hot button" for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I should have you talk with a friend of mine who will be graduating from seminary this May. When I was mentoring him in PA he was really interested in the intersection of vocation and spirituality. Martin Luther has a great set of writings all throughout his career on this topic.

    And yes, I do believe that we will have tasks in eternity. I always sit back and wonder, "Who gets to sweep out the stalls of the Lord's stable?" Because here on earth this is such a menial task. But I am challenged on this because I don't believe that there will be any menial tasks in heaven. So then the challenge is to wrap my head around the idea that I'll think of cleaning out the stables of the Lord as a great thing one day. which leads, naturally, to wondering how I can bring that same perspective to this age. If mucking God's stalls in heaven is a great thing - mucking the stalls of God's creation should be a great thing, too!

    Great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luther wasn't the only famous Martin to talk about working:

    "And when you discover what you will be in your life, set out to do it as if God Almighty called you at this particular moment in history to do it. don't just set out to do a good job. Set out to do such a good job that the living, the dead or the unborn couldn't do it any better.

    "If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, sweep streets like Beethoven composed music, sweep streets like Leontyne Price sings before the Metropolitan Opera. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say: Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well. If you can't be a pine at the top of the hill, be a shrub in the valley. Be be the best little shrub on the side of the hill.

    "Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be a sun, be a star. For it isn't by size that you win or fail. Be the best of whatever you are."

    Martin Luther King. Here's a link (or possibly just the URL since I'm not too savvy): http://seattletimes.com/special/mlk/king/words/blueprint.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful quote. I think that right there captures far more poetically what I was trying to say. Sweep streets like Michelangelo painted or Beethoven composed music. Well found, Cheryl! And well stated, Mr. King, Jr.

    ReplyDelete