Thursday, July 25, 2013

Year 3, Day 206: Hosea 5

Leaders Beware

This judgment coming to the northern kingdom of Israel was for the whole of the people.  All would be implicated within it.  But notice that the tenor of the first few verses is not focused upon the people in general.  Again, it is the leaders of the northern kingdom that have the true attention of God.  The spiritual leaders and the governmental leaders both are indicted.

The more I read through the Old Testament, the more importance I see upon the spiritual leadership of a community.  Yes, every person is accountable for their own relationship with God.  But the leadership of a place will make that easier or harder to achieve.

Think about it.  Take a person who is attending a church because they truly hear from God through the teachings, study, and missional work of a congregation.  Then take that same person and put them in a context where the leadership is poor and there is no great teaching, study, and missional work.  Where will that person grow the most?  Where will that person grow the best?  Yes, it is up to the person to grow.  No leader can make a person grow.  But leadership can certainly make a context in which it is easier or harder for people to grow.

This idea often causes me to mourn when I consider my context within American Christianity.  How many places of worship are really focused on paying the bills and keeping the lights on?  How many places of worship are caught up in maintaining the status quo?  How many places of worship are more interested in tradition and history than in spirituality?  How many places are more interested in appearances and not mission?

How many leaders foster that kind of environment?  How many leaders allow the people to naturally go that way rather than continue to focus the people back onto what really matters?  This is really why my heart mourns.  Too many spiritual leaders are occupational and not living out of their call.  Too many spiritual leaders are afraid of losing their livelihood and therefore they no longer challenge the people.  Soon they have compromised true faith and are joining the people in the slide down to sin.  That’s the main issue here in the early verses of this chapter.  Spiritual leaders are called to rise above and call people back to God.  It’s plain and simple.  We spiritual leaders are called to be holy – set apart, different.  Too many spiritual leaders are interested in being “one of the crowd.”

Two Phenomenal Images of Decay

As we progress through this chapter, we hear God say that He is like a “moth” and like “rottenness.”  This honestly made me laugh today as I read these words.  If I came up to you and said, “You remind me of a piece of fruit that is rotting,” how long would it take you to slap me?  Yet that is precisely the imagery that God gives for us to see Him.

Yet, think about this.  What does the moth destroy?  Clothing.  What does rottenness destroy?  Organic material.  God’s being rather blunt here.  God will destroy their society.  He will even destroy the people within the society.  Everything will be taken away.  God will be the source of their decay.  God’s punishment will destroy everything that they have built for themselves in their lusting after anything but God.

Root of the Problem

At the end of the chapter we really see where God gets upset.  When the nation of Israel was in political distress, to whom did they turn?  They didn’t turn to God.  They didn’t ask God to protect them.  Instead they called upon Assyria and begged for their assistance.  Idolatry.  They turned to something other than God.

If I take this macroscopic problem and bring it down to the microscopic level, I have to wonder about my own life.  How often do I solve my own problems without asking God for His input?  How often do I turn to other people without asking God to whom He would like me to go?

It is easy to categorize things like the love of money and power as idolatry.  It is easy to categorize things like the love of possessions and status as idolatry.  But here in Hosea we see that God isn’t satisfied with only defining the big and obvious things as idolatry.  Any time we step out on our own and don’t turn to God we are actually demonstrating idolatrous behavior.  When I step out and try and fix my own problem before turning to God, it is actually evidence of idolatry in my heart.  In a very small way, I am telling God that I am bigger than Him in doing so.

Wow.  I’ll be honest.  I didn’t see that coming in Hosea 5.  When I use that definition of idolatry, I’ve got to confess something.  I’m idolatrous often.

This is why I love the prophets.  You never know what is going to hit you and from where it is going to come.  But I think this is a huge moment for me to “walk the circle” today.  I think it’s time to go and figure out not just what God is trying to say to me, but what on earth I’m going to do about a problem that is so inherently rooted into my core being.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment