Sunday, July 28, 2013

Year 3, Day 209: Hosea 9

Inability

As I read through the opening verses of Hosea 9, one of the thoughts that struck me the most was the inability of the Hebrew people to properly offer sacrifices because of their rebellion.  God warns them through Hosea that the time will come when they will no longer be able to offer sacrifices.  They will be dragged to Assyria and be prevented from doing righteous behavior even should they want to do so.

I think this is a worthwhile thought to consider for the day.  Often as human beings we think that we can do anything.  We think we can do anything when we want to.  But the reality is that this is not always true.  Because of my sinfulness, I cannot give God praise anytime I want.  As we saw yesterday, my attitude might get in the way.  My circumstances might get in the way.  Life happens based on my choices and I have to deal with consequences.  Sometimes those consequences are so dire that I am in a position where I cannot do anything pleasing to God.

Again, this goes back to the theme that has been running through much of the readings the last few days.  My attitude affects my ability to genuinely worship God.  Just because I say that God is my savior doesn’t mean that I’m living it.  Just because my lips say that God is great doesn’t mean that my heart is buying that message.  When the Hebrew people go to Assyrian bondage, they will no longer be able to properly make sacrifices.  When my heart is sinful and I abandon God’s ways to the captivity of my sin, I find myself in the same place.

The Prophet’s Warning

The middle section of this chapter has to do primarily with the reaction of the people of Israel and the prophets that God sent among them.  What does God say?  His prophets find wrath and anger among the people.  The prophet is considered a fool and a madman by the Hebrew people.  The prophet was supposed to be the watchman over the Hebrew people.  Yet God’s people look for ways to trip Him up so that they don’t have to listen to him.  The whole people of Israel look for ways to avoid following God’s true prophets.

In some respects, this passage points us to God’s grace.  God knows we are sinful.  He knows that we are not perfect.  He knows that we will make mistakes.  Therefore, God sends us prophets into our lives who can speak truth to us.  God could leave us to fend for ourselves and know we would irrevocably mess things up.  But no, God sends prophets among us to keep us on track.   God sends prophets among us to help us find our way back to the path.  In His grace He sends people to us when we need them most.

So, how do we respond?  Do we see them with the eyes of grace that God intends when He sends them to us?  Or do we see them with the eyes of a person who doesn’t want to be pulled out of our sinfulness?  That’s a fairly potent question.  If we scorn those that God sends to us when we need them, how should we expect God to act in response?

Lament

To close this chapter, we have a lament from God.  God knows that he found His people as a wild plant in the wilderness.  He brought Abraham out of the pagan land of Ur.  They grew in faith until they went to Egypt, where they drifted away.

In Egypt, God found His people again as though wild in nature.  There God rescued them and pulled them back into shape.  He brought them out of bondage and freed them to live in the Promised Land.  Again they wandered away.

So God mourns.  God gave them what they needed.  They turned away and worshipped foreign gods.  They offered their children up to be sacrificed to the gods.  These were gods who focused their children elsewhere.  They sucked away their life until there was nothing left for God.  Slowly – generation by generation – the people fell away from God until there was nothing left.

As they reject God, they are rejected by God.  As they turn to other things, God releases them to the passion of their heart.  There is nothing else that a God who values free will can do!  If God forces the people to love Him, then they no longer have free will and their love is meaningless.  So God watches the Hebrew people reject Him again and again.  He releases them into their rejection.

He does it knowing that as they go, some of them will realize what is happening and begin to return to Him.  He does it because that’s the way love works in a free will relationship.  I think it was Linus from the classic Peanuts Cartoon who introduced me to a particular sage piece of wisdom as he advised Charlie Brown.  Although, I’m sure that Charles Schultz was not the originator of the saying.  Here it is: “If you love something, let it go.  If it comes back to you, then the love is truly yours to keep.”

That’s what God is doing here.  God desperately loves the Hebrew people.  But God is letting the Hebrew people reject His prophets and go on their way.  He knows that as they go, some will return.  Those who do were always His.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment