Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Year 4, Day 57: Exodus 8

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Identity, Obedience

  • Identity: Our true identity comes from the Father.  Only when our identity comes from God can we be obedient in ways that satisfy our person to our core.
  • Obedience: Genuine and satisfying obedience comes out of our identity.  Our true identity comes only from Father.


What do we do when we come into contact with the awesomeness of God’s power?  Do we rebel against it?  Do we shake our fist at God and ask how He could do such a thing?

In my blog post 3 years ago – which you can access by clicking on the “Theological Commentary” link above – I proposed the idea that the plagues are not judgments upon a pagan Egyptian culture as much as they are an opportunity to come and see the power of the God who created the universe.

You see, the first three plagues affected the Hebrew people and the Egyptians alike.  But then the Hebrew people wake up and understood what God was doing.  They wanted to go out and worship.  They got the message and submit to God’s plan!  However, Pharaoh was never willing to submit.  So from the fourth plague onward, the plagues only affect the Egyptians and not the Hebrew people.

This made me think about us today.  When I come in contact with God, how do I respond?  Do I get my identity from Him and submit to His power, desiring nothing more than to worship Him and be in a relationship with such an awesome being?  Am I obedient to that calling?  Or do I fortify my position and make myself strong against His action and refuse to humble myself in His midst?  Coming in contact with God is a dangerous time, because it is in those moments where my true identity and obedience is exposed the greatest.

Do I bow at the knee or do I shake my fist?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment