Thursday, February 5, 2015

Year 5, Day 36: Romans 13

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Father

  • Father: This is the pinnacle of the Covenant Triangle.  God is the Father.  He is the creator.  He is love.  Our relationship with the Father is rooted in His love for us.  We get our identity through Him.  When the Father is in our life, obedience becomes clear.

As I was reading through my blog post from three years ago on Romans 13, I came across a very humbling thought.  This thought humbled me 3 years ago, too.  I am so fallen that I need help loving a perfect God.  I can’t even love a perfect God on my own!

Now, I don’t say that to be depressing.  There is no point beating myself up for that fact.  It’s reality.  It’s a sad reality.  But it is a reality that God already knows, understands, and accepts.  It is a reality that He accepts and still comes to me so that I can love Him in spite of my failings.

This leads me to Romans 13.  I need God to be my Father.  I need God to be my Father so that I can submit to Him.  I need God to be my Father so I can learn to submit to Him and live like Him.  I need God to be my Father so I can learn to submit to Him and live like Him and not partake in the sinfulness of the world around me.

That’s precisely what the second half of Romans 13 is all about.  Because God comes to us and we are in a relationship with Him we can know love and we can live apart from sin.  It all starts with Him.  It all starts with the Father and His relationship with us.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment