Saturday, February 7, 2015

Year 5, Day 38: Romans 15

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Competency

  • Competency: Being able to accomplish what one is called to do.

Romans 15:18 is a powerful verse.  “For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gentiles to obedience.”  Now there is focus.  There is an agenda.  There is a man who understands God’s calling in his life and has the competency to accomplish it.

Imagine what this looked like in Paul’s life.  Everywhere that Paul goes he is looking for ways to speak about Christ and invite people into a relationship with Christ.  Everywhere Paul goes is an opportunity.  Every thought he has is directed to his ministry and his calling.  Again, that’s a comment upon the competency that Paul ahs within him.

Now, do get me wrong.  I’m sure Paul had good days and bad days.  I’m sure there were days that he kept focus more easily.  After all, non e of us are able to be perfect.  But Paul sets a high standard.

I have to ask if that is the standard that I set for myself.  Sure, I don’t attain that standard every day.  But is it even the standard to which I try and attain?  Do I live my life so that I may boast only about what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gospel to others?  If I want to be competent in Christ, that’s a great place to begin.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment