Monday, October 12, 2015

Year 5, Day 285: Psalm 148

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Up

  • Up: Up is the word we use for what we worship.  If we are following God’s will, God will occupy the Up position.  Our life, our identity, our mission, our family on mission is all derived from Up.  This is why God needs to be in our Up position.

We get to end the psalms in praise.  Both today and tomorrow will focus us on giving glory to the Lord.  Truthfully, why shouldn’t it?  Is there anything better in the world than God?

What I really enjoy about the scope of Psalm 148 is that the focus is upon all of creation that praises God.  It isn’t just humanity that praises God.  It isn’t even the old and wise people who praise God.  It is the young and the old.  It is the people and the creation.  It is the sun and the moon and the stars that give glory to God.  It is the angels in heaven that declare God’s praise.  The very elements themselves attest to God’s glory.

I find that this idea really resonates within me today.  This world can sometimes feel like a very lonely place.  But I’m not alone when I praise God.  When I lift up God’s name, I join the rest of creation as we ascribe glory to God together.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment