Friday, October 12, 2012

Year 2, Day 285: Psalm 148

Psalm 148

This morning I have been doing a fair amount of reflection upon “order.”  I’m not talking about order in society (civil order).  Neither am I talking about order with respect to arranging items (some might call this OCD).  Rather, I am talking about order as it pertains to one’s life.  I’m talking about order as it pertains to priorities.  I’m talking about order as it pertains to a person’s worldview.

What is the most important thing in your life?  If you were told that you only had an hour to live and you only had time to accomplish one thing, what would it be?

Think about that for a second.  Honestly, pause in your reading of this blog and think about it.

I wonder how many of us said something like, “Talk to my family.”  Or maybe we said something like, “Make sure that my paperwork is all in order and ready so I don’t leave a mess behind for my family.”  Or maybe we said something like, “Go eat a fabulous meal.”

I wonder how many of us said, “Praise God.”  For the record, if anyone reading this is feeling a bit convicted, know that I am convicted as well.  “Praising God” likely wouldn’t have been my first response, either.  In fact, if I were to be honest about it – I would imagine that genuinely praising God might be a bit tough to do when faced with the news of my impending demise. I’d like to believe I would be able to work through my humanity and get to that point.  But I don’t know just how instinctual it would be as a first response.  I think there would be a ton of human emotion and emotional baggage that I’d have to work through first.

However, this does give me some reason to pause to think about my life.  In the end, what is more important than praising God?  What is more important than participating in the worship of the one being who can save us from both life and death?  What is more important than acknowledging our God who is before us, our God who gives us life, our God who provides for our every need, and our God who walks every step of life with us?

There’s a reason that I have gone down this devotional track today.  As we read through this psalm, the focus of the psalm is clearly on the creation giving praise to God.  It isn’t just about human beings praising God but rather the whole creation.  The stars, the sun, and the moon praise God.  The heavens praise God.  The earth, the sea, and the creatures of the deep praise God.  Even elemental things like fire and wind and hail and snow praise God.  The mountains and the hills praise God.  The fruit trees and the other trees praise God.  The beasts and the creeping insects praise God.  The whole creation praises God as it lives and breathes the life that God has bestowed upon it.

Even the people on the earth praise God.  We praise Him because He has done marvelous things.  He has raised up His people.  He has shown us true life.  We have every reason to praise Him.

So that got me wondering.  Do I praise Him all that well?  I mean, I love Him.  I genuinely do.  I am so grateful for His creation.  I am so thankful that He sent us Jesus to die on the cross for our sake.  I am anticipating eternal life with an incredible sense of hope.  I genuinely believe that salvation only comes through Him.

But do I praise Him?  I know all those things above, but do I praise Him?  Do I honestly stop my life and praise Him like I should?

It’s easy to lie to oneself, so I’ve found that one of the best ways to prevent me from lying to myself is to ask the hard questions.  If I had an hour to live, how much of that time would be spent praising God?  If the answer is not much … might that expose the reality that my priorities aren’t exactly lined up the way they should be?  And if my priorities in the time of crisis aren’t lined up right, what does that say about the possibility that my priorities aren’t lined up in the rest of my life, too?

I need to praise God more.  I am His creation; I should be praising Him for that truth!  He loves me, He saves me, He guides me, He never leaves me, and He calls me home!  I need to praise Him more.

How about you?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment