Sunday, December 20, 2015

Year 5, Day 354: Isaiah 4

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Kingdom

  • Kingdom: We live in God’s creation, but it is fallen.  We do not yet live in the fullness of God’s Kingdom.  But we do know that the Kingdom of God is drawing near.  We do get to see glimpses of the kingdom each and every time that God works in us and through us as He tries to demonstrate Himself to the world.

Isaiah 4 is largely about grace.  After judgment, the time will come when God lives among His people.  The time will come when the sinfulness of humanity is washed through us and out of us.  The time will come when the Lord will guide us personally.  What a glorious day that will be.

It is easy to be sad as we pine for that existence.  I’ll confess, I do pine for that existence.  It is difficult to see sinfulness impacting the world around me and feel so helpless to do something about it.  But in truth, while I confess that I pine for that time I also confess that I’ve gotten it wrong.  Jesus didn’t come so that we could have hope that we will one day know the kingdom.  Jesus came so that we might know the kingdom now and look forward to a greater revelation.

I can know what it is like to be guided by God personally.  I can know what it is like to be washed of my sins.  I can know what it is to have God live among me.  I can know what it is like to be in His presence.  As Jesus says, “The kingdom of heaven has drawn near.”  It’s here.  It’s now.  It may get more intense after judgment, but we can know today this kingdom that Isaiah foretold.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment