Friday, August 26, 2016

Year 6, Day 238: 1 John 4

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Challenge

  • Challenge: God does not merely wish us to be in relationship with Him as we are.  He challenges us to grow, stretch, and transform as we take on the mantle of being His representatives to this world.

You may wonder why it is that I’ve picked challenge for this chapter.  After all, this whole chapter is on love.  This whole chapter focuses on the greatness of God’s love and how wonderful it is to partake in that which god offers to us.  This is a really uplifting and inspiring chapter.  So why do I focus on challenge?

For me, this is a very challenging chapter.  After all, perfect love casts out fear.  That’s a very hard verse; it’s a very hard concept.

Am I ever afraid to love?  Perhaps now more than ever.  Am I ever hesitant about opening up myself out of fear that I might be rejected, abused, mistreated, taken advantage, or some other negative thing?  Absolutely.  If I had to confess, I don’t know of many times in my life that the call to love hasn’t been accompanied with a little fear.  Love is difficult because it opens the door for rejection and many other negative concepts.

However, in saying this I know that I am not wrong.  After all, when Jesus loved, was He not rejected?  When Jesus reached out to others, was he not shunned?  If I desire to imitate my Lord, why should I think that the very things that He experienced would not happen to me?

Yet, that didn’t keep Him from loving.  He loved in spite of the rejection that was coming.  That’s where the challenge comes in.  It’s one thing to be afraid to love.  That’s human.  The inspiration of the divine comes when we know we have every reason to fear the rejection that can come with love and we love anyways.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment