Sunday, July 2, 2017

Year 7, Day 183: Deuteronomy 32

Theological Commentary: Click Here

Deuteronomy 32 it a song, recited by Moses.  Let’s be honest.  The song has a pretty negative tone.  It’s easy to focus on all of the warnings that appear in this book.

Before we do that, however, let’s focus on God.  Look at the characteristics of God that are found in this chapter.  God is perfect, just, and faithful.  These characteristics lead God into righteous behavior as also witnessed in this chapter.  God finds the Hebrew people in Egypt, rescues them, guided them, cared for them, and elevated them in status.  These are the righteous actions of a righteous God.

Now, let’s focus on the people.  Whereas God is perfect, just, and faithful, the people are corrupt, crooked, blemished, and twisted.  These characteristics lead them into the behaving poorly.  They kick against God, rebel against God, they scoff at God, they follow foreign gods, and ultimately they forsake God.

This is the dynamic of the song. This is the dynamic that Moses wants to make sure that the Hebrew people hear about themselves before entering into the Promised Land.  Moses knows the corruption that lives within all of us.  He knows the rebellion that can be found.  He desires to put this corruption before the people so that they an be mindful of their humanity.

I find this to be a valuable practice.  I would rather have someone show me my faults – as difficult a process as that may be – than be allowed to bury my faults and pretend they don’t exist.  When I know my faults, I can work on them.  I can struggle against them.  I can prepare for when they rear their ugly heads.  That’s the opportunity that Moses gives us in this song.  It is not an easy song to read or hear, but it is a great perspective on humanity.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment