Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Year 7, Day 185: Deuteronomy 34

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Today we bring the story of Moses to an end once more, my third time since writing this blog.  I am always awed by this ending.  Moses goes up the mountain to view all the land.  It is the Lord that shows Moses the land.  It is the Lord that explains His plan to Moses.  It is God that filled him with unabated vigor into his 120th year.  It is God that kept his eyesight from waning.  In fact, perhaps the most awe inspiring aspect is that it is God who buries Moses.

Let that sink in for a second.  Nowhere else in the whole Bible are we told that God buried someone.  This speaks to the relationship that Moses had with God.  I’m not saying that Moses was the person with the greatest relationship with God ever, that’s for God to decide and know.  But this relationship that God had with Moses was really pretty special. 

I’d be lying if I didn’t confess that this ending evokes jealousy within me.  It isn’t the kind of jealousy that makes me hate Moses.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’d like to believe that my relationship with the Lord is close.  But I don’t expect God to come down and bury me when I die – although He will claim every individual follower of His into eternal life!  There is something so inspiring about the life of Moses and the relationship with God that was forged through it that causes me to be inspired.

Then, even before the chapter is over, we move on.  Joshua steps up to lead.  Joshua takes over command.  God’s plan moves on.  As special as Moses was, God’s plan marches on just fine because God is the enduring thread of success, not a human being.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment