Monday, September 23, 2019

Year 9, Day 266: Zechariah 7


Theological Commentary: Click Here



As difficult as the visions in Zechariah are to piece together, Zechariah 7 seems blessedly simple.  A request is made of the Lord as to whether or not they should continue to fast as was their tradition during the exile. 



The response from the Lord is classic.  God asks the people if they fasted for His benefit or for theirs.  This is a beautiful point! It is absolutely worth heeding and contemplating.



When we fast, what is the point?  Are we trying to prove ourselves worthy to God?  If that’s the case, can we even accomplish that task?  Can any amount of fasting and praying make my character righteous?



When we fast, are we trying to win points with God so that He will be convinced to see things our way?  If that’s our reason, it sure makes fasting and prayer sound like manipulation to me!  Should I really think that my actions will coerce God to allow me to have my way?



The reality is that when I fast and pray, I should fast and pray so that my heart is changed.  It is my heart that needs to be cleansed.  It is my mind that needs focusing upon God’s way.



God doesn’t need me to prove myself to Him.  He already knows I cannot; that is why He sent Jesus!  He doesn’t need me to prove my righteousness because He has taken care of it.  What He needs me to do is recognize that I am the one who needs to work on my heart and mind.  He needs me to do what is necessary to embrace and live out the righteousness that He gives to me.  He needs me to focus more on showing His love and mercy to the people around me than to focus on trying to prove myself to Him.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment