Sunday, September 29, 2019

Year 9, Day 272: Zechariah 14


Theological Commentary: Click Here



Zechariah 14 closes the book with a vision.  There can be no doubt in the interpretation of this vision.  Since the Lord has not established Himself as the earth literal king, and since the nations do not literally go up to worship Him, this vision is yet to come.  This vision speaks about the time when the Lord will come in power and force, not grace and peace.



There are a few things that strike me about this time, though.  First, there will be resistance.  Those who resist will receive a plague that sounds an awful lot like trench rot.  The plague will even spread to the horses and camels and implements of the rebellious people.  The world will not subdue easily.  Rebellion is simply a part of who we are.  We are individuals, and we don’t get in line very easily.



There is a second side to this.  Notice that even after the Lord does establish Himself as king that people will still have the freedom to interact with Him.  Those who do not come simply won’t get rain.  This implies that people will have the freedom to not come.



I find this amazing.  Even after the Lord is king, people will reject Him.  Even when the Lord’s kingdom is a physical and tangible thing, people will revolt and do their own thing.



I shouldn’t be surprised by this.  Even as I write, I understand that the Lord is king of my life and that His Spirit dwells within me.  Yet, here I am still wrestling with sin.  Here I am desiring to follow my own agenda.  Here I am still trying to be Lord of my own life even after professing Christ as king!



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment