Friday, April 27, 2012

Year 2, Day 117: Job 23

Accessibility to God

Job’s reply today has very little to do with Eliphaz and the last chapter.  It has everything to do with Job’s inability to feel like the throne of God is accessible to him.  Ultimately, I am going to get to the error of Job’s thinking.  But before I do that I want to talk about the reality of Job’s thinking.

God can feel very inaccessible from time to time.  There are days when I feel like my prayers are wafting up into space and may never reach God.  There are days when I feel completely hopeless and lost.  There are days when I really do wonder if God hears me.  {Yes, I know He does.  But that doesn’t mean in my human failing I don’t ever wonder if He does.}

I’ve also wondered why Jesus had to do the whole ascension/return thing.  After all, I know why He had to die – without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.  The crucifixion explains why He had to come.  But once He came and once He died, why did He have to ascend and hang out at the right hand of the Father?  In other words, why did He have to go away?  Now that He has proven Himself to humanity, to death, and to Satan why does He need to go to heaven and wait any longer?  If He has conquered death, why not stick around and be in relationship with humanity?  Why not just start up the kingdom right then and there?  Certainly God would be far more accessible had Jesus stayed here and not ascended, right?

This is the same kind of thinking that Job is doing in this chapter.  Job isn’t telling God that He is wrong.  Neither is Job expressing disbelief in God.  Rather, Job is expressing that because he cannot understand the mind of God, he is having trouble understanding why God has chosen to work in the manner that He has.  It isn’t that Job is saying that God is wrong; it is that Job is saying that God is hard to understand.  That is absolutely very true!  God – and God’s ways – can be very hard to understand from time to time.  That doesn’t make God wrong.  It just shows my own inability to truly feel fully connected to the mind and the will of God.

Of course, that doesn’t make Job right, either.  Much like my exploration of thought regarding the ascension a few paragraphs ago, Job is complaining about feeling distant from God.  Job is feeling like life would be easier if we had a tangible place that we could go and be in the presence of God.  There are days when I really feel like I need to concur with that thought.

However, those thoughts come about because of problem with humanity, not a problem with God.  When Job says that he goes forward and God is not there, is Job right?  There’s no denying that it accurately describes how Job feels.  But is he right?  No, Job is not right.  The truth is that we actually cannot escape God’s presence!  Of course God is there.  The problem isn’t with God’s presence; the problem is with our ability to perceive God!

Take my own paragraph of question that I wrote above.  Would things really be much different had Jesus not ascended and stayed here forever?  In truth, I really doubt it.  Let me explain why.

We do have access to God every moment through the Holy Spirit and through His Word.  Do we utilize those things like we should?  I don’t know about you, but I could stand to pay more attention to the Holy Spirit and to God’s Word.  If I as a human being can find a way to not pay attention to the things to which God has granted me access, why would I think having access to the fleshly person of the resurrected Lord would really make me behave any better?  Would I be in the presence of Christ every moment?  Even if I could, would I be able to keep my mind from wandering in sin? 

It turns out that the problem isn’t that I need more personal access to God.  My problem is that I am human and have an innate desire to not really see what God is doing in life!  I have an inability to see God because my focus tends towards the temporal.

Like me, Job does realize that the problem is within himself, not God.  That doesn’t make it any less frustrating from our perspective!  In fact, it actually makes it more frustrating to realize that the very problem we think we have with God is actually a problem with us!  But that is the truth.  Our problem lies in the fact that when God is at work, we don’t see Him.  See Job 23:9.

I find this to be an absolutely beautiful chapter of examining the human condition.  We don’t see God, so we get angry with God.  But the truth of humanity rests in the fact that we actually don’t see Him because we don’t look for Him rather than because He isn’t there.  He’s there.  He’s always there.  The problem is me and my ability or desire to see Him.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment