Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Year 2, Day 93: 2 Corinthians 11

For Whom Are You Working?

Paul gets really blunt here in this chapter.  If we look at his opening section, he basically levels two significant booms upon the people in Corinth and the people who have come to fill the void once he left Corinth.  He claims that there are people that are proclaiming a different Gospel than Jesus Christ crucified.  Then, he makes sure that the Corinthians understand that such people are the agents of Satan, who “even disguises himself as an angel of light.”

I’m going to get up on my soap box today, and I’m doing it unapologetically.  I am so tired of people who want to make religion difficult.  There are all kinds of people in the word who live and breathe that church has to be “done their way.”  I do think it is good to have places of worship and even different varieties of it.  I don’t mind the fact that we have contemporary services, traditional services, liturgical services, prayer services, healing services, whatever.  Do you know what I am tired of doing?  I am tired of defending the work that God is doing within me because it doesn’t fit “someone else’s expectations.”  Is faith about meeting my expectations or is faith about my willingness to give up my expectations and being where God needs me to be?

What does Paul say in the opening verses of this chapter?  “But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.  For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.” (ESV, 2 Corinthians 11:3-4)

We are saved by one thing and one thing only: Jesus’ death on the cross.  We are to be purely devoted to Christ.  Of course there are many ways to worship God!  What makes a place of worship right or wrong is not the means of practice but the preaching and teaching done within! 

Does anyone tell you that you need anything besides the cross of Christ to be saved?  Run away!  Nothing we do – prayer, baptism, worship, tithing, etc – can earn salvation from God.  Yes, we should absolutely do those things as a response to our salvation as Christ has commanded us to do them.  But nothing I do can cause me to be saved.  God gave me salvation as a free gift.  I can only respond.

I feel Paul’s pain as he writes here.  There were people coming into Corinth and telling them that if they were really going to be Christians they had to be circumcised.  There were people coming in and saying they had to be baptized by emersion according to John’s baptism.  There were people coming in and telling them that they had to follow the kosher rules for eating or all sorts of other things.  Paul’s pain comes because the Corinthians were believing them.  They were listening!  The Corinthians believed these other people and they were trading in the free gift of grace from God for some compromise.  They were accepting a compromise that boils down to the claim that the cross must not be enough.  That is a dangerous place to be.

Now, please don’t hear me preaching universalism, either.  There are truths out there, and we must stand up strong for God’s truth.  But whether I take communion once a month or every week or every quarter is of no impact upon salvation and as such it is no reason to not associate with people who may practice differently in that matter.  The same goes for whether a church uses grape juice or wine,  leavened or unleavened bread, practice baptism by sprinkling or by emersion, use some version of the Bible other than the KJV or the NRSV, worship on Saturday night or Sunday morning, or … well, you get the idea.

Is the means of baptism more important than the baptism being done in God’s name and by His power?  Is the type of bread more important than the promise that Jesus will make Himself known to us through it?  Is the name on the Sunday School curriculum more important than whether or not people are coming into a relationship with Jesus Christ in the first place?

Agents of the Devil

At the end of this introductory section, Paul is bold and harsh to denounce people who would desire to make such distinctions.  People who preach any gospel other than the cross of Christ being the only means to justification are “false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.”  He goes all the way to remind us that even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 

We must be careful when we draw lines in the sand.  When we draw a line in the sand that is not appropriate and actually drawn by God, we might just end up doing the work of Satan rather than doing the work of the Lord.

Wrapping Up the Chapter

In the end, what will save me is Christ’s death on the cross.  Whether I drink grape juice or wine will not save me.  Whether I lift up my hands as I praise God or not will not save me.  Whether I speak in tongues or not will not save me.  It is the cross of Christ to which I must cling.  It is the cross of Christ of which I must boast.  Yes, Christ does expect me to respond and to let the Holy Spirit work within me and make me a new creation.  But it is the cross of Christ that has justified me.  It is time that we start taking that point seriously and only allow divisions among us when people proclaim that salvation is through some other means or even some other additional means.


<>< 

1 comment: