Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Year 8, Day 72: 1 Corinthians 3


Theological Commentary: Click Here



When I read the third chapter of 1 Corinthians, I am struck by two thoughts.  The first thought is the more literal of them.  We are human beings working on Gods plan.  What difference does it matter what my role is?  Why do human beings insist on letting jealousy have a place in their heart when it comes to God’s kingdom?  Is it not enough to be blessed by being involved in God’s will in the first place?  Why do we worry about who we know, who trained us, or what power we wield within the body of Christ?



When we boil down truth, there are just a few really important truths.  None of us earn our salvation.  Every single person who finds salvation does so because of the grace of God.  If God uses me to help a person find Him, He deserves the credit!  If someone powerful in the faith mentors and teaches me, He deserves the credit!  It is God who is the central figure in the faith.



That leads me to a second thought.  What role am I actually playing in God’s kingdom?  When Paul speaks of building, he talks about building with materials that will stand the test of God’s judgment.  So, I need to ask a simple question.  Is what I am doing as a response to God going to last through His judgment?  Am I doing what He desires of me – and therefore building with good materials – or am I following my own desires – and thus building with materials that will not last?  When I teach, am I teaching truth or am I teaching the lies that people want to hear?  When I mentor, are people drawing closer to God or am I drawing them closer to a God in my or their own image?



When we begin analyzing our lives and stripping away that which isn’t of Him, we really should get to the heart of the issue.  Popularity isn’t important when it comes to the kingdom.  Status isn’t important.  Social standing isn’t important.  What is important is that God is the central figure and I am living in obedience to Him.  When that happens, I am building with materials that will last under His judgment.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment