Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Year 2, Day 72: 1 Corinthians 3

Without a Leg to Stand On

After all the talk in the last few days about spiritual people understanding spiritual concepts, we have a pretty serious boom being leveled on the Corinthians in the opening verses of 1 Corinthians 3.  What does Paul say to them?  I had to give you milk, not solid food.  I had to treat you as spiritual infants, as people of the flesh.  The divisions in their congregation demonstrated that they were not on board at all with this spirituality thing.  They were still more interested in getting their way and getting their agenda accomplished rather than humbling themselves before God’s agenda.

Now, I need to be very clear for a second.  There is one very good reason for being immature in one’s faith – or spiritual infancy as we tend to call it.  That reason is this: you have just recently come to know Jesus Christ and the salvation that He offers.  After all, it takes some pretty serious time to grow up in Christ.  You have to learn the popular stories and learn what those stories really teach us.  You have to learn how to be strong enough to give up the carnal desires.  You have to take time to make spiritual connections and seek out spiritual mentors.  All of those things take months – and that’s after you finally bring yourself to legitimately commit to Jesus Christ.  A person in that position has every right to be a spiritual infant, because that is what they are.

There is no shame in being a spiritual infant if you have just come to know Jesus Christ in a deep and meaningful way.

However, you’ll notice that I said months, not years.  Yes, we should be growing all the time.  There is maturity, and then there is perpetually becoming more and more mature.  We will never reach the climax of our spiritual maturity – Lord willing!  But we should reach a point where we are “mature.”  And I have to believe that this is measured in months, not years.  It is especially not measured in decades.

An Example from Jesus’ Life

Think about the disciples.  Jesus was teaching for a time and then He began to call disciples.  About three years after He started teaching He was crucified, resurrected, and handing over the keys to Peter and the rest of the disciples.  Three years – in most cases probably less than that – after the disciples decided to follow Christ they were in a position of sharing leadership within a congregation.  They were the teachers and preachers within less than three years time! 

I know.  Three years is a measurement in years.  But to me, considering how long most of the Christians I am around have been Christians, three years is a drastically short amount of time.  Three years is a small measurement compared to how long most Christians I know claim to have been in a relationship with Christ.

I am sure that this is true of the Christians in Corinth as well.  Most of them were Jewish well before Paul ever came along and told them about Jesus Christ.  So they had a running start into the faith.  It shouldn’t take them too long to actually get up to speed if they were genuinely devoting themselves to Jesus Christ.  In these opening verses, Paul is laying a huge chastisement on all those in Corinth who have not matured out of their spiritual infancy.  He is laying a huge chastisement upon all of us who have known Christ for longer than average and who are still in our spiritual infancy as well.

Paul, Apollos, and Peter

This point is vital to understanding the rest of the chapter, which is why I spent so much time upon it today.  Paul then moves on to talk about Paul, Apollos, and Cephas (The Greek name for Peter).  But his overarching point is that God is the one in charge.  It doesn’t matter who does the work.  For that matter, it doesn’t even matter what the work looks like as long as it is genuinely God’s hand at work!

Think about that point for a second.  If I see God’s hand at work and it is not being done the way I think it should be being done, am I really going to want to raise myself up and say, “That’s not right?”  Do I really want to put myself in a place of criticizing God’s work just because it doesn’t look quite like I want it to appear?  The shape and the form are nothing compared to whether or not the work that is being done is God’s work.

Understanding this point takes spiritual maturity.  It takes a spiritually mature person to put aside my own ways and embrace God’s work in my midst regardless of what it looks like.  It takes a spiritually mature person to genuinely pursue God’s leading rather than my own thoughts on what is correct.  It takes a spiritually mature person to admit that the thoughts and ways of human organization are nothing compared to the thoughts and ways of God’s agenda.

That’s why I love where Paul ends this passage.  My ways are foolishness before God.  There is no other way of saying it.  My ways are foolishness before God.  Why would I ever spend my time pursuing what I think is right unless I have also verified that it actually is God’s ways, too? 

Find God, join Him in doing whatever you are doing. 

It doesn’t matter what shape it takes.  Where God is, that’s where I want to be.  Anything else is foolishness and spiritual immaturity.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment