Monday, December 13, 2010

Year 0, Day 12: Daniel 12

A Prophetic Book

Today I will talk a little bit about Daniel as a prophetic book.  There are two things in this chapter: one that bothers me as a human being but not as a spiritual being and another one that I think is always worth illustrating.  So let’s start with the one that bothers me as a human being.

Shut Up These Words

I am always bothered when I read this passage and hear the words “shut up these words until the end time.”  As a human, I like to be in control.  As a math nerd, I like to have all the data out on the table so that I can put it all together and come up with the correct conclusion.  I’m just one of those people who feels the most comfortable making decisions and teaching theology when I have all the facts and can see all the relationships.  So it bothers me when I hear the words telling Daniel to keep this message private for a time.

Now, we know that currently we have access to these words – obviously, they are in our Bible.  But the reality is that this "veiled nature" is a trait that God has.  God knew about His ultimate plan to bring Jesus Christ to the earth as He was creating the world.  Had He chosen to do so, He certainly could have clued us in a little more concretely than He did before Jesus actually came.   But the reality is that He didn’t clue us in all the way.  God left a few things – in reality a lot of things – more ambiguous than clear.  To be quite honest, that really bothers me on a human level.

Of course, on a spiritual level it doesn’t bother me at all.  I can let go of my human concerns and rest comfortably in God’s omnipotent wisdom and know that His ways are better than my human ways anyway.  The reality is that we walked away from Him, therefore He does not owe us any amount of “absolute clarity” anyway.  When we approach what God has given us with an attitude of honest faith, we do see what God is up to in this world.  It isn’t like we cannot see God’s hand, we just have to look for it through eyes that are open to being spiritual. After all, hope in something that is seen is really no hope at all.  So don’t get me wrong.  In the end, I can readily move past the fact that I am bothered when so often God seems to prefer working through a “veiled” means.  I simply have to remind myself that when we truly look at what God is doing from a spiritual perspective, the veil is lifted.  It is we who need to change, not God.

Many vs. All

The other aspect of this passage is a piece of information that is always worth remembering.  Look at the words that the messenger of God’s Word gives regarding people at the end – specifically verses 2 and 10.  The messenger uses the words “many.”  The messenger does not use the words “all.”  There are people out there who have a false sense of hope in the full redemption of all of Israel – Paul even struggles with this concept in his writings in the New Testament.  There are people out there who in my opinion falsely believe in the full redemption of all of Israel. For that matter, I think there are honest well-meaning Christians who falsely believe in the full redemption all everyone who goes to a Christian church.  Worse yet, there are many who believe in the redemption of all people regardless of their faith.

These are all dangerous teachings – ones that should be fought against at every turn.  God’s Word here in Daniel 12 is clear.  Many will rise to everlasting life, but some will rise to shame and everlasting contempt.  Many shall purify themselves and make themselves white and refined, but the wicked will still act wickedly.  As much as I would love to think about universal salvation for all people, it’s just not scripturally sound.

I also think about the parable of the sheep and goats of Matthew 25, where a vast number of well-intentioned people will realize only too late that they weren’t really following Jesus Christ in spite of the fact that they might have convinced themselves that they were doing so.  Or what about the passages where Jesus tells us that the harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few. Or what about the passages where Jesus clearly tells us that wide is the gate that leads to destruction and many shall find it – but narrow is the gate that leads to eternal life and few shall find it.

I think we need to take seriously these passages and put aside our false hope in a universal salvation.  God is a God who is quite capable of judging between true faith and unbelief.  We are fooling ourselves and turning a blind eye to the breadth of God’s Word when we convince ourselves that a separation of those who go into eternal life and those who go into everlasting contempt is not part of the final judgment.

Of course, it is also important for me to remember that the one who makes such a distinction is God, not me.  The only person’s heart that I can truly look into with any sort of accuracy is my own.  Even there, I lie to myself and don’t always see what I could see if I looked through God’s eyes.  He is the only one capable of judging salvation.

Well, on that happy note … God’s peace to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment