Saturday, December 4, 2010

Year 0, Day 4: Daniel 4

Pride

Daniel 4.  It would seem that God conspires against me to focus on Nebuchadnezzar again!  But that is okay.  For tomorrow’s story is not about Nebuchadnezzar at all.  So let’s get all we can out of him today.  In fact, the only thing I will say about Daniel today is this: Kudos to him for having the guts to proclaim this message to someone who has already tried to kill his friends in a fiery furnace!  Praise be to God!

I love the nature of this story.  The chapter begins with King Nebuchadnezzar giving praise to God before the whole of Babylon.  A period of time – at least twelve months, see Daniel 4:29 – goes by and King Nebuchadnezzar finds himself focusing on himself and his pride again.  Oh how the mighty have fallen!  Nebuchadnezzar becomes like the beasts of the earth in order to complete the fall.  But, God sees it fit to restore Nebuchadnezzar and in that restoration Nebuchadnezzar is given another reminder that it is God that our life should revolve around, not ourselves.

Here again in Daniel we have the rearing of the ugly head of pride.  C.S. Lewis has a saying that pride is the favorite sin that the Devil uses.  You see, when the devil uses other sins against us they are simply disobedience against God’s commands.  But when the devil uses pride against us, it is not a rebellion against God’s commands but rebellion against the very person and nature of God!  Pride is the removal of God’s central nature in our life and the replacing of God with the self.  When the devil uses pride, he has completely won – until God sees it fit to humble our pride and drive it out of us as He did here with Nebuchadnezzar.

So I am left to ponder this sin of pride.  How often do I think like Nebuchadnezzar in that I desire to build great things?  How often do I convince myself that those great things are good because I can use them to make the name of the Lord great?  How good have I gotten at lying to myself and convincing myself that my self-centered designs are about God when they are really all about me?  Rather I should desire that God should use me to build His kingdom – whether my contribution is great or small.

How often have I been so proud as to think that I don’t need the help of others?  Rather I should be humble and acknowledge that when I do not accept the help of others I am denying my belief that God has equipped them with the very skills that I need to compliment my own. 

Do you see how pride works?  Do even I really see how pride works?  Do you see how easy it is to be blind-sided by pride when we don’t even recognize that it is coming?

Oh, this wretched and infernal thing called pride.  I can erect wall after wall – safeguard after safeguard – and yet I find that pride is still standing there beside me.  To mix Science Fiction with Theology it feels as though every time I have established a new pattern of life to help shut out pride, I discover that pride has already teleported within me and is actually the one who is telling me how to establish this new pattern so that I think I have won against pride.  Pride is a vile and abject enemy of God.  Even in the matter of confession – public or private – pride can come in and convince me of just how righteous my confession is!  Is there no escape from pride?


Turn to God, Nebuchadnezzar.  Turn to God, sinner wrenched with pride.  The only escape from pride is to focus on God.  Focusing on God’s majesty and removing ourselves from the center of our own world will defeat pride.  So let’s turn.  Let’s repent.  In the Greek, I would say “Metanoeite!”  That’s the Greek work John the Baptizer uses when he says “Repent!” as a command.  O God, reveal your majesty to us that I might see just how little the works of my hands are without you as the Creator behind the operation of my hands.  Only when you are the source of glory is true glory found.

No comments:

Post a Comment