Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Year 4, Day 302: 1 Samuel 16

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: In

  • In: This is the word we use to express our relationships with our spiritual family.  These are often the people who hold us spiritually accountable.  They are the ones to whom we typically go for discussion and discernment.  These are the ones with whom we learn to share leadership.  They are the ones with whom we become family on mission.

In is well-described as the people in our lives that give us spiritual counsel and whom we trust.  They are important people to us.  We all need people in our life who can speak truthfully and honestly in our life rather than people who just tell us what we want to hear.

This idea came across to me really well as I read this chapter.  Samuel comes to Bethlehem and the people are afraid.  Now, they aren’t afraid of his ability to conquer them or physically oppress them.  What they are afraid of is Samuel’s ability to speak truth.  They are afraid of Samuel’s ability to look at how they are living and convict them.  They are afraid of Samuel being able to do what true people of God can do.

So I wonder.  How many people do I have in my life that can challenge me like I should be challenged?  How many people in my life do I let that kind of truth come into my life through them?  Is that something that we as Christians in the Western World even value anymore?  Or do we want someone who will make us feel good, pat us on the back, and let us live the way that we want to live?


<><

No comments:

Post a Comment