Saturday, December 13, 2014

Year 4, Day 347: 1 Kings 6

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Calling

  • Calling asks whether or not God has called the person to the particular work at this point in their life.
1 Kings 6 appears to be a fairly mundane chapter on first read.  It is verse after verse of construction manuals.  Solomon built the temple.  There was stone.  There was wood.  Then there was gold overlay.  I’m sure that it was splendid.  I’m sure that it was a sight to behold. 

But don’t miss 1 Kings 6:11-13.  Look at God’s response to the initial building effort.  Before Solomon can finish the temple God reminds Solomon about what his true calling happens to be.  Solomon isn’t called to be some great builder.  God didn’t call Solomon to build an incredible temple so that Solomon’s name would be remembered forever.  God called Solomon to be obedient to His word and to model that in his life.

Notice what is important to God.  God never says, “Wow, Solomon, that’s an impressive place to worship!”  God doesn’t say, “Oh, I really like the choice of cedar here.”  No, God calls Solomon into a life of obedience.  He says, “Solomon, don’t get caught up in the building.  What is important is that you keep my commandments.  What is important is that you are humble and submitted before me.”

The same is true for me.  What are my accomplishments in the presence of a God that created the world?  God doesn’t call me to have a life of splendor.  God calls me to have a life of obedience.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment