Sunday, December 14, 2014

Year 4, Day 348: 1 Kings 7

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Challenge

  • Challenge: God does not merely wish us to be in relationship with Him as we are.  He challenges us to grow, stretch, and transform as we take on the mantle of being His representatives to this world.

Every time I read this chapter I am struck by the fact that Solomon names the pillars.  Who names parts of buildings, right?  In my blog post three years ago, I mention that the pillars are aptly named.  Jachin means “He shall uphold” and Boaz means “May strength be in Him.”

Those are names of challenge.  “He shall uphold” is a challenge to remember that God is the one who holds the power.  So often I like to think I can solve my own problems.  So often I like to think that I can save myself.  So often I think that I can handle the things of this world and I relegate God to handling the eternal part that I know I can’t take care of.  But the reality is that God should uphold me both in this world and the world to come.  The challenge is to give God control of everything.

“May strength be in Him” is a similar note of challenge.  How often do we want the focus?  How often do I want to be seen as the person who saves the day, has the brilliant idea, or is the rock of strength upon whom others can lean?  But that’s a position best left to God.  He is the savior.  He is the brilliant mind behind His plan.  He is the rock of strength upon whom others can lean.  The challenge is to let God be the strength of the world and instead be humble and fill the role He desires of me.

<><


No comments:

Post a Comment