Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Year 5, Day 307: Proverbs 16

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Approval

  • Approval: We all need to feel as though we are accepted.  When we seek the approval of God, our Up is in the right place.  But when we seek the approval of other people besides God, we open the door to pursuing false gods and risk putting someone or something other than God in our Up position.

When I read this chapter in proverbs, I really get an overarching sense of humbleness.  I don’t know about you, but I like my life to be about myself.  I like my life to be passionate about my needs and my feelings and my emotions and my desires.  I want my life to revolve around my interests.

However, that isn’t really what this chapter of Proverbs is all about.  Verse 1 tells us that while our plans may be in our heart, the answer is in the Lord.  Verse 2 tells us that we are always right in our own eyes, but it is the Lord who weighs us.  Verse 3 tells us that we should commit our work to the Lord.  Verse 9 tells us that while our hearts may govern our steps, it is the Lord establishes our steps.

Each of these verses cause me to ask where it is that I get my approval.  Do I want to approve my own actions?  Do I seek the approval of the people around me?  Or am I interested in the Lord’s approval and letting Him establish my ways?

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment