Friday, November 6, 2015

Year 5, Day 310: Proverbs 19

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: King

  • King: This is the pinnacle of the Kingdom Triangle.  When we look towards God’s position in the universe, we acknowledge that He is an omnipotent king.  Authority comes from Him.  Power comes through His authority.  He is looking for representatives for His kingdom.

As I was reading through this chapter, I was once more struck by the wisdom of Proverbs 19:3.  This verse bears the soul of humanity and exposes it wide open.  Our folly brings our life to ruin.  We bear the consequences of our own choices.  We make our own bed and have to lie in it.

But the reality is that we are never happy about it.  We are never content living into our consequences.  It’s always someone else’s fault.  It’s always something happening to us.  We make excuse after excuse as to why we’re not guilty.

Or, we get mad at God.  We get angry at God because our life isn’t going the way we want it to go.  We get mad at God because life is occasionally lived in tough spots.

But is it really His fault?  Does God deserve our wrath?  Should our consequences be laid at His feet?

More to the point, when I feel that way am I demonstrating that He is King of my life?  If I get angry at God for my choices, am I sending Him the message that He is king of my life?  Or am I really more treating Him like a scapegoat?

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment