Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Year 6, Day 124: James 2

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Bear Fruit

  • Bear Fruit: We bear fruit after we grow.  Bearing fruit is ultimately the goal of abiding and the goal of being called into the Kingdom of God.  However, while bearing fruit is our calling, it is not the end.  We bear fruit so that we can then prune, abide, grow, and bear more fruit in another season.  Bearing fruit is not the end, but rather only a portion of the whole rhythm of life into which God has called us.

James gives us a whole chapter in which we can look at the fruit of our life.  The reality is that even Jesus tells us that we will know each other by the fruit of their faithfulness.  Talking about fruit is not a matter of works-based salvation.  Talking about fruit is a matter of responding to God’s free gift of grace and faith to us.

We begin with partiality.  If a rich looking person walks into a room and I show them better treatment than a poor person, what does my fruit say about my faith?  If a famous person comes in and I treat them better than an unknown person, what does that fruit say about my faith?  If I show partiality based on any sort of higher condition, what does that say about my faith?

What about the next section of scripture?  If I walk by someone, smile, and greet them without caring about the needs in their life, what does that say about my faith?  If I wish someone to have a good day but deep in my heart I can’t wait to pass by them and get on with my life, what does that say about my faith?  If I go to church and shake people’s hands and offer them God’s peace but I never pause to get to know them, know their faith, and hear their needs, what does that say about my faith?

In the last paragraph, James gives us one of my favorites quotes.  You believe in God?  Good!  So do the demons.  In other words, one has to do more than just believe in the existence of God.  Demons know God exists.  What does that get them?  James is arguing that we need to not just believe in the existence of God but also obey His will.  We need to submit to Him and bear that fruit in our life.  If our faith is genuine, our fruit will be present.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment