Saturday, May 4, 2013

Year 3, Day 124: James 2

Partiality

James makes an incredible argument for inclusivity in the congregation of God’s followers.  Is there anyone who cannot be a follower of God?  Must someone have a certain level of status?  Must someone meet the “not a drain on the system” condition that so many social clubs enforce?  Must they wear certain attire or not be allowed in?  Do they need to speak the club’s language before being granted admission?

James is talking to a specific dynamic in the congregation to whom he is writing.  There are the “haves” and the “have nots.”  The haves are considering themselves better because they dress more appropriately.  Everyone in the congregation wants to be around the haves.  Everyone wants the attention of the haves.  The have nots are being pushed to the side because from the perspective of the world, they have little if anything to bring to the table.

James tells us bluntly this is not how it should be.  What a wonderfully New Testament idea.  Jesus taught that the poor shall inherit the kingdom of God.  Jesus taught that we should not be concerned about earthly treasures but instead be concerned about laying up our treasures in heaven where moth and rust cannot destroy.  When we look at people, we should not see them with eyes that are evaluating their worldly wealth.  Rather, we should see people through eyes that are evaluating their spiritual nature.

The Law

If there is one thing James does really well, it is to bring the Law into his conversation.  With respect to the topic of partiality, James does an incredible job here.  James reminds us that Jesus taught us that He could summarize the whole of the Law in two expressions: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind and then love your neighbor as yourself.  When we show partiality, do we not love our neighbor less?  Partiality necessarily implies a breaking of the Law.

Therefore, we should be quick to treat all of God’s followers with hospitality.  All those who call upon God for salvation should be welcome in our midst.  We must learn to see through glasses that do not see favoritism.

Circles of Influence

That being said, I do feel the need to speak to the other side of this issue.  While all followers of God should be welcomed, that does not mean that we have to spend an equal amount of time with each other.  When Jesus lived on this earth, Jesus spent an incredible amount of time with the Twelve and even among the Twelve He spent the most time with Peter, James, and John.  Jesus wasn’t playing favorites; Jesus identified gifts.  Peter, James, and John were leaders and they were the ones who opened themselves to Jesus the most.  The same could be said about all of the disciples when compared to the crowds at large.

Therefore, while we need to be welcoming to all of God’s followers, we also need to see where God is directing us to work.  If God is calling you to speak into the life of someone, do it.  Don’t neglect others, but don’t worry about giving a person additional attention.  Don’t do it because they are wealthy or dress nicely; do it because God is pointing you there.  Don’t show partiality; but do go where God is calling you.

Applied Faith

To be honest, I really struggle with James 2:14-17.  I don’t struggle with them because I don’t believe them to be true.  I struggle with them because I honestly don’t feel that I live up to the standard all that well.  How often do I say to people that God loves them and they should go and be filled yet at the same time I’m not really asking if their needs are met?  How many people do I smile at and say, “Good day!” but in reality I don’t even know if the heat is on or their pantry has food in it?  These verses always reflect the hypocrite back onto myself.

I don’t think there is any way around it.  I could do a better job asking if I can help anyone out.  Yes, I volunteer at the Mobile Food pantry.  I sort food at the local food bank.  My wife and I even support a child and his family in Kenya.  But on the whole, am I really helping people meet their physical needs?  Sure, I may be helping people meet their spiritual needs.  But am I not failing miserably at a more basic calling in life?

Faith Without Works

Then we turn to probably the most hotly debated section of all scripture.  “Faith without works is dead.”  As I said yesterday, James is not arguing for works based salvation.  James is arguing that if our faith and the salvation that comes through it do not inspire us to works then we really may not even have faith.  I find this a much harder question in truth.  It’s not a matter of “Am I saved because of my works?”  It’s really a question of “Am I responding to God’s gift of salvation?”  James is arguing that we see our faith and the faith of other people through what we do.  What we do speaks about who we are.  If I do nothing out of my faith, how can I claim to be a person of faith?

Faith is active in our works.  Faith is completed by our works.  Salvation comes through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ on the cross.  Our works are evidence of our salvation.  In some respects it is our fruit.  Does not Jesus tell us to judge one another by the fruit that we bear?

And then there is the haunting question at the end.  What good is faith without works?  What good is belief in a God and the experience of His mercy if we never act upon it?  Have we really been changed by God’s love and mercy if we ourselves show no evidence of His love and mercy?  Do I want a dead faith?  If not, then I need to be alive in my works!  {Again, though.  Works are not to be saved.  Works are the response to salvation.}


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment