Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Year 7, Day 157: Deuteronomy 6

Theological Commentary: Click Here


I’ve heard it said that the whole of the Law boils down to the Shema, or Shema Yisrael.  “Hear, Israel.”  Fortunately, there are a plethora of directions that I can go with this idea.  For those of you who do not know what the shema is, it is a reference to Deuteronomy 6:4.  You’ll notice that shema Yisrael, or hear Israel, are the first two words in that verse.

The traditional track, and I believe a correct track, is to talk about what it is that the shema teaches.  The Lord is One.  What does it mean to say that the Lord is One?  Many people point to it as a foundation to the coming New Testament teaching of the Trinity.  Most people teach that it is absolutely a declaration of the power of God.  In other words, He is not just a god but the God.  It also teaches that God is a personal God because He is our God.  All of these are great teachings found within the shema.

However, let’s not miss out one the shema itself.  “Hear, Israel.”  In other words, we need to listen.  We need to pause and accept that we get our orders from another.  My life is not about my desire and my pursuit.  Rather, my life is about finding where God is at work around my and joining up with God.  My job in this word is not to ask God to help me pursue my dreams but to stop and listen so that I can join God in pursuing His work.  For me, that right there is the truest and deepest meaning to be found in the shema.

As I look at my life and where God has taught me in the past several years, it is here in this teaching.  As I hint above, when I was considerably younger I used to think that life was about getting God’s blessing upon my agenda.  When I finally gave that issue up, I believe that I swung too far to the other side.  Instead of asking God to bless my agenda, I started asking myself what God’s plan for my life was.  Unfortunately, that became a nearly equally fruitless pursuit because I spent most of my life frustrated that I was chasing some dream that I couldn’t even know for certain.  Finally, I began seeking middle ground.  Instead of looking for some grand plan, I just started listening.  I realized that the grand overarching plan wasn’t the goal.  Instead, what was really important was finding Go din the here and now.  What does God want me to do today?  What does God want me to do wherever I find myself planted?

This concept, a concept that I find highly present in the shema, is an incredibly freeing one.  I don’t have to worry about the grand plan.  I simply have to worry about being a part of God’s plan today.  If tomorrow my circumstances change, then I’ll have to find where God is in those circumstances and do His work there.

As we take this concept back to the chapter, that really is what the rest of the chapter is talking about.  When the Hebrew people enter the land, they need to keep listening to God.  They shouldn’t focus on the treasure that they will take without earning from the Canaanites in the land.  They shouldn’t focus on the false gods.  In the same way, they shouldn’t test God and question His overall plan.  They are simply to remember God and teach about Him to their children.  They are to live each day in a walk with God, wherever He leads them and with whatever He puts in their hands.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment