Friday, October 6, 2017

Year 7, Day 279: Judges 18

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Two questions are raised within me as I read through Judges 18.  Both questions deal with faith.  Both questions deal with our human motivation within our relationship with God.

The first question is born out of the question that the Danites ask the priest when they come to plunder Micah.  “Would you rather be the priest of 1 or the priest of 600?”  Not that I think that Micah is the world’s most faithful person, but I don’t think I’d like to be the priest of 600 thieves and bullies, either!  The greater point that we hear in this is the human idea that bigger is better.  Are 600 automatically better than 1?  What if God’s calling is to the 1?  What if the 600 have no respect for God?  Yet, at first pass, human beings almost always pick the greater quantity instead of the lesser.

The second question comes out of Micah’s response to his gods and priest being taken away.  “What have I left if you take away my gods and my priest?”  This phrase reveals a great deal about Micah’s relationship with God.  Can mankind take away our relationship with God?  If God is the source of our power, life, and salvation, then who can take away those things?  Micah is more worried about the material representations of life than true life itself!

Don’t get me wrong on either of these points.  Human nature is to fall in line with the assertion of the Danites.  We think more is better.  Human nature also tends to focus on the tangibles and forget about the intangibles.  Both are short-sighted opinions, however.  We should be more focused on things like where God is calling and how God can provide for us.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment