Saturday, October 14, 2017

Year 7, Day 287: 1 Samuel 1

Theological Commentary: Click Here


There are things about this chapter that utterly perplex me.  First of all, why would a woman allow her identity to be so torn up simply because she could not bear a child.  I realize, of course, that the reason I struggle with this is because I live in a different culture with different expectations.  However, I can’t be too far off the truth, either.  After all, isn’t that what Elkanah says to Hannah?  Doesn’t he say that he has worth to her more than ten sons?  To put it in modern perspective, does a woman’s worth come only from their ability to bear children?  Of course not!

Another thing that perplexes me is why one wife would torment another for being barren.  I get it, I just don’t understand it.  I know some people are cruel and enjoy feeling the lift they receive by putting other people down.  But I don’t understand why.  Why are some people so shallow that they would rather lower other people’s status than elevate their own by elevating the status of the people around them?

A third thing that perplexes me is why a woman would so freely give away a child that she prayed for and agonized over.  Again, I get it.  She gives the boy as a gift to the Lord.  She’s doing something that God can use, certainly.  It’s not a wrong choice; it is just a choice that perplexes me.  It does make me wonder if she cares more about the status of being able to produce a child more than she cares about the son.  But, in saying that, I am judging her motivations, and those aren’t mine to judge.  I’ll never know that answer, and it isn’t even my place to know that answer.

All of that said, those things that perplex me do not overcome what God is doing.  God will take this gift of a child and turn him into an incredible leader among His people. That point overtakes all that I may have said before.  Regardless of our choices and our movements, God will work His hand.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment