Sunday, November 19, 2017

Year 7, Day 323: 2 Samuel 6


Theological Commentary: Click Here




Today we have two very classic stories.  You can read my thoughts on Uzzah’s death elsewhere.  Obedience to the Lord is a very important consideration, and not being obedient can have some very serious consequences.



Today I am going to focus on David’s dance and Michal’s reaction.  David dances before the Lord as the ark is brought up before him.  Michal is angry because she sees David’s action as improper.



I’m always torn by this story, primarily because I am an introvert.  I typically don’t enjoy parties, celebrations, and public dancing.  I can resonate with Michal, depending on how David danced. If he actually did do something lewd or inappropriate, then he should be chastised.  Since I cannot see how he danced, it isn’t like I can actually judge.



On the other hand, as an introvert I do really need to accept that public displays of love for God may well be out of my comfort zone but that doesn’t make them necessarily inappropriate.  There is a difference between actually being lewd or inappropriate and a person seeing it as lewd or inappropriate. As an introvert, I should always be mindful to understand that my inherent quiet disposition should not influence my judgment of right and wrong when it comes to public events.



In the end, I can understand both sides.  I’m guessing, though, that David didn’t actually do anything wrong since the Biblical account supports his dancing.  It’s never wrong to show one’s love for God in public, so long as we don’t offend God in doing so!  As David says, we should let God be the judge of what He finds appropriate and inappropriate.  He is more than capable of doing so.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment