Thursday, November 1, 2018

Year 8, Day 305: Proverbs 14


Theological Commentary: Click Here



It’s time to take a break from the persistent righteous and folly debate, although it certainly continues to run through this chapter as well.  This chapter has a couple of proverbs that will allow this pause in our focus.



Each heart knows its own bitterness.  There are incredible amounts of truth in this saying.  I’ve always been cautious about saying the words, “I know how you feel.”  Yes, I do say them fairly often.  But the truth is that I can’t really know how someone else feels.  I might know how I would feel in their place.  I might be able to relate what I think they are feeling to a feeling that seems similar to me.  But I cannot possibly know how someone else is feeling.  I can’t know another’s pain, loneliness, or sorrow.



Interestingly enough, I can’t know another’s joy, either.  Again, I can know how I would feel if I were in someone else’s place.  I can know the height of my own pleasure.  Even so, I still can’t truly know how someone else is being pleased or made happy.  I can relate, but I can’t truly know.



As long as the focus is on one’s feelings, I also love the proverb that says that even in laughter the heart may ache or rejoicing may end in grief.  It’s amazing how much pain a smile can truly hide.  It’s amazing how good human beings are at putting on a façade.  Some days I feel like I am a master of my façade, wondering if anyone really knows what lies beneath.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment