Friday, November 30, 2018

Year 8, Day 334: Ecclesiastes 4


Theological Commentary: Click Here




I love the varied dynamics of Ecclesiastes 4.  We get a perspective on age and wisdom mixed with youth and receptivity.  We get chance to think about companionship.  There is a perspective on human oppression.  There is the natural continued perspective on toil.



Start there first.  We receive two pieces of wisdom regarding toil.  First, toil and work come from envy after what another one has.  While I’m not sure I quite fully buy into the absolute nature of this saying, I do think it has much merit. If I think about many of the things that I am good at doing, it is because I saw it in other people and I wanted to be good in it as well.  Most of my skills come because I saw them on display in other people.  On that level, the saying is true.



I like the second saying even better.  It is better to have a single handful of quietness than two handfuls of toil and striving after wind.  In other words, it is good to know one’s limitations and then accept them.  It is good to reach for the stars and know when you’ve peaked.  Striving after the unattainable is not striving at all.  It is an exercise in frustration.



Look at the perspective on companionship.  If a person falls into a pit and they are alone, what will they do?  But if they have a companion, they can be rescued.  It’s always good to have a second perspective.  When things go wrong, and they will to varying degrees, we want to be able to get advice, get help, and have some cheer for us and help us get back to our feet.  Companionship – genuine friendship – is a great blessing in life.



Then there is my favorite passage of the chapter.  A young an who can take advice is better than a wise old man who can’t.  So often we berate the young for their inexperience and foolishness.  Sometimes, it’s genuinely deserved.  Yet, there is something I’ve learned as a high school teacher.  My teenagers can admit when they are wrong and outclassed.  They can admit when they’ve gotten a thing or two to learn.  They can embrace their growing edges!  The danger with growing old is that we learn to be blind to our growing edges.  We think that in our wisdom our growing edges shrink.



In truth, They shouldn’t.  Think about a physical example.  Let’s say my maturity is equal to a sphere.  As I grow, the sphere becomes bigger.  But, that means that the surface area of the sphere because greater and a far faster rate than the radius does!  The bigger the sphere gets, the greater the need for more paint to cover it.  In other words, the greater the area for growth!



So it is with human beings.  As I get older, I get more experience.  Yes, I do become wiser in the ways that used to trip me up.  However, as wise as I get in the old struggles, I have that many more new areas in which to struggle!  Growing older is an excuse to become more receptive to advice, not an excuse to become less receptive.  I pray that I will always be open to a friendly critique.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment